I don't update to version 10 and I'm leaving Mixcraft.

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Acoustica Greg

Re: I don't update to version 10 and I'm leaving Mixcraft.

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

As depicted in RStudio's video, Mixcraft 10 allows you to set the note color by MIDI channel.

You can set the MIDI note's color by the clip's color (the default), the musical note, whether it's in scale or not (no effect when Chromatic is selected or in step or score mode), and by MIDI channel.

Greg

Note color setting in Mixcraft 10
Note color setting in Mixcraft 10
notecolormx10.png (11.68 KiB) Viewed 17105 times
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
neuralmix

Post by neuralmix »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:21 pmThe new scripting feature is just for controllers.
Thanks for the info :)
cactus-head wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:32 pm Along the same line maybe create a new lane, copy your clips to that lane. Mute those copied clips. Now on you original, do as you said. Right click a note and set it's velocity to 0. Or delete that note entirely

When you're done testing or whatever, just unmute the other clip. You could copy it back fully intact or delete the edited one. And in Mixcraft 10 since even selecting multiple clips in multiple lanes creates the ghost note feature, you can see, switch and edit between the two clips however you want. So if you deleted that middle C in clip 1 - it still shows in clip 2 etc. And if you deleted notes in the original clip that you still want but added a few others, just merge the clips together.

There's also Notemapper. If you want to mute all of a certain note or change its pitch or all kinds of other stuff without effecting the clip, Notemapper is the tool.
I already do that, creating dupes and muting them (thanks nonetheless)! I *will* have to check Notemapper though!
bigaquarium

Post by bigaquarium »

There are a few options to get around that problem, one is to make sure the VSTi MIDI input isn't set to omni, one is a MIDI filtering plugin by CodeFN42 you can insert to your instrument chain, and yet another is to assign a fixed MIDI channel to the lane which should ignore other channels IIRC.

I can explain later when I'm not driving a dump truck.
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

bigaquarium wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:45 am ...I can explain later when I'm not driving a dump truck.
That tickled me! hahahah
Barth

Post by Barth »

RStudio wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:48 am
Except for one instrument, there's nothing else here.
Check this video: https://cryptpad.fr/file/#/2/file/R8CC0 ... a5olfoN2U/

P.S. I haven't tried adding instruments to other midi channels, so I can't say anything about that. The question here is how you will have to route each note separately if you have other instruments in your sampler channels.
Thanks for the video RStudio

How did you do it so that the note that you change the channel does not sound?
I change channel notes and they continue to be heard.
Barth

Post by Barth »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:58 am Hi,

As depicted in RStudio's video, Mixcraft 10 allows you to set the note color by MIDI channel.

You can set the MIDI note's color by the clip's color (the default), the musical note, whether it's in scale or not (no effect when Chromatic is selected or in step or score mode), and by MIDI channel.

Greg

notecolormx10.png
Yes, I saw it in the video, thanks Greg.
RStudio

Post by RStudio »

Barth wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:03 pm
RStudio wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:48 am
Except for one instrument, there's nothing else here.
Check this video: https://cryptpad.fr/file/#/2/file/R8CC0 ... a5olfoN2U/

P.S. I haven't tried adding instruments to other midi channels, so I can't say anything about that. The question here is how you will have to route each note separately if you have other instruments in your sampler channels.
Thanks for the video RStudio

How did you do it so that the note that you change the channel does not sound?
I change channel notes and they continue to be heard.
Most likely you are using a instrument that does not support multichannel outputs. Try doing the same in Kontakt, Sine Player, Discover/LABS, etc.
I've tried outputting individual notes on an instrument that didn't have support for multichannel outputs. I also, like you, heard all the notes that I had output to other midi channels beforehand.

P.S.
If you use Discover/LABS I recommend doing this:
Change midi channel.png
Change midi channel.png (18.28 KiB) Viewed 16994 times
Change midi channel (LABS).png
Change midi channel (LABS).png (16.25 KiB) Viewed 16992 times
If you have "Any" enabled by default, you will hear all the notes that are output to the different midi channels.
Barth

Post by Barth »

RStudio wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:37 pm
Most likely you are using a instrument that does not support multichannel outputs. Try doing the same in Kontakt, Sine Player, Discover/LABS, etc.
I've tried outputting individual notes on an instrument that didn't have support for multichannel outputs. I also, like you, heard all the notes that I had output to other midi channels beforehand.

P.S.
If you use Discover/LABS I recommend doing this:

If you have "Any" enabled by default, you will hear all the notes that are output to the different midi channels.
Thank you RStudio for your explanations and images.

Effectively, I have tried with a LABS instrument, changed (as you said) the “Any” by a channel number (1), and after writing some notes, I have changed some notes to Midi channel 2. And those notes were not heard.
I have created a new track with another instrument, which by default has been set to channel 2, writing some notes too. Then, when playing back, the LABS notes assigned to channel 2 were still not heard, even though channel 2 was occupied by another instrument in other track.

Therefore, that systems works in MX to mute notes, the problem is is that it only works with multichannel instruments, and I have many instruments that are not multichannel, most of them. It's a shame, because the idea is very good.
Guaresneider

Post by Guaresneider »

Barth wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:01 pm I find it hard to believe that in 2023 there could be any prestigious professional DAW that still don't have the option to mute individual Midi notes.
Acoustica has every right to think it's not important, I accept that, and I have every right to find a solution, as I have. We have a major discrepancy.

I started with version 8 and fell in love with Mixcraft, hereafter MX, and even better with version 9, I had finally found a DAW to dedicate myself to and forget about the rest of DAWs.

But there was a problem, I couldn't mute Midi individual notes. I didn't realize it until I started arranging songs, besides, the more songs I made, the more I needed this feature. For me, who uses MIDI quite a bit, it is very important to be able to silence notes. All other renowned DAWs have this feature, and some much more modest DAWs than MX have it too.

And when I saw that my suggestion in this regard was not answered (as well as all my other suggestions), to make my wish clear, I made other comments on the forum about muting notes, which also remained unanswered. With the feeling that maybe I was in the wrong DAW, I finally started to emotionally disconnect from MX.

However, I searched for Midi plugins to add to the DAW, that would have the ability to conect with midi editor and mute notes, in a desperate attempt to continue in MX, but I did not find anything interesting, and in any case, it seemed like a patch, a bad solution.

So with the feeling that in version 10 nothing would change about it, I was not willing to wait another 3 or 4 more years to see if that would change for version 11, or maybe not either, or maybe could never mute notes in MX, so I started looking for other DAWs, it was laborious, but finally when was able to mute notes, it was a great satisfaction.

I'm not happy writing this. MX was my DAW by excellence, and some time ago it would not have occurred to me to think about changing, but reality rules. If i can’t mute notes in MX, I have to do it in another DAW.

I will miss this beautiful community of users, and Greg's much appreciated help. It's a great value. One never knows if any day I will return to MX, although it seems quite unlikely.
I wish you the best.

Until your return Barth! I know you'll be back...by v11 you'll definitely be around...always, always one returns to one's first love. :wink:
k410

Post by k410 »

Er, so I guess I'll just say* that pretty soon after I installed the Mixcraft 10 demo I fell in love with it (still have to wait a few days before my next deposit before I upgrade, though).

The interface is clear, good-looking, and intuitive, and I found some nice surprises in the included content (e.g., AAS Journeys).

Probably similar to many, I have about a dozen DAWS, but this feels like something I can work with. (Some others have off-putting or mystifying interfaces or workflows.)

The new instrument browser looks good, and I appreciate that the Start Panel does not try to sell me something every time I open the app. Thank you for that.

I only checked a few pages in the online documentation, but it seems well-written and well-organized and gives me confidence that I can look up some answers myself before bothering the forum.

I was also amused by the messages during the plugin scan. 😎

"When one user leaves, another one enters."
_____
*Admittedly I did go on and on.
Last edited by k410 on Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guaresneider

Post by Guaresneider »

k410 wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:43 pm Er, so I guess I'll just say* that pretty soon after I installed the Mixcraft 10 demo I fell in love with it (still have to wait a few days before my next deposit before I upgrade, though).

The interface is clear, good-looking, and intuitive, and I found some nice surprises in the included content (e.g., AAS Journeys).

Probably similar to many, I have about a dozen DAWS, but this feels like something I can work with. (Some others have off-putting or mystifying interfaces or workflows.)

The new instrument browser looks good, and I appreciate that the foyer or portal or whatever it's called does not try to sell me something every time I open the app. Thank you for that.

I only checked a few pages in the online documentation, but it seems well-written and well-organized and gives me confidence that I can look up some answers myself before bothering the forum.

I was also amused by the messages during the plugin scan. 😎

"When one user leaves, another one enters."
_____
*Admittedly I did go on and on.

Exactly, as 'Greg' said, you can't please everyone, but the more I use version 10 the more I like it. There is a lot of room for updates and tweaks, yes of course! but this version is a luxury! ♥ and the price for upgrade was fantastic! :)
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

Mixcraft 10 is a dream. The new interface is so good and clear. I can't use it at the moment because the controller mappings are always lost and I have to switch to reaper for a while. That's the horror. It work's, but stupid and unneeded complex :oops:

I wonder how the others daws ever became major daws. The usability is incredibly bad against mixcraft. I hope it works soon with the save in my case. I don't want to use anything else but I must for a while :cry:

Edit:
Btw. reaper should have the best performance in comparison. Not true, Mixcraft is 2 times faster on almost everything I do in my case. I have the half of cpu usage and I can use the half of asio buffer in Mixcraft.
Guaresneider

Post by Guaresneider »

ppayne wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:27 am Mixcraft 10 is a dream. The new interface is so good and clear. I can't use it at the moment because the controller mappings are always lost and I have to switch to reaper for a while. That's the horror. It work's, but stupid and unneeded complex :oops:

I wonder how the others daws ever became major daws. The usability is incredibly bad against mixcraft. I hope it works soon with the save in my case. I don't want to use anything else but I must for a while :cry:

Edit:
Btw. reaper should have the best performance in comparison. Not true, Mixcraft is 2 times faster on almost everything I do in my case. I have the half of cpu usage and I can use the half of asio buffer in Mixcraft.

Exactly ppayne, this is just like "I wonder how the other daws ever became major DAWs", I have tested all the DAWs on the market and with my eyes closed the N1 is Mixcraft.

The thing is that Acoustica keeps a low profile in 'marketing' and maybe that's why it's not the N1 on the list of the most used DAWs on the market.

Last year I told Greg that this DAW should cost no less than $299, how can it be that Serato Studio (toy with 8 measures patterns only) nor VST3 accepts costs $249???? what!!?

The same as Fruity Loops? or Studio One? which is a real piece of crap with its prehistoric MIDI and impossible to read tools? If only Acoustica had someone who really knew how to market it MXC10 would be the best seller, seriously.

Barth

Post by Barth »

Guaresneider wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:03 am
Exactly, as 'Greg' said, you can't please everyone...
Yes, Greg's right, you can't please everyone. I had a tantrum because my suggestions were not implemented. I'm sorry and I apologize for that. Mixcraft has a lot of good things and too many suggestions to please them all.
huik

Post by huik »

Hi,
Yes, I like the MX 10 and very much.
I started reading the manual (I usually don't do it). I like it, it is written humanly and with a joke. In short, a big helper.

Thanks a lot

: -j