Loud Static Burst when Mixing Down to MP3 (in Mixcraft 9)

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

gmpolin

Loud Static Burst when Mixing Down to MP3 (in Mixcraft 9)

Post by gmpolin »

Hi,

When I mix a particular project down to MP3, there is a blaring loud static noise at the start of the MP3. It hasn't happened before in the past, and it isn't happening on all my projects, but it is happening on the current project I am trying to finish.

Things I have tried that had no effect: Updating Mixcraft (up to date, Build 470, Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio), restarting the Windows computer, restarting Mixcraft, using a different MP3 player (Windows Media Player), updating my usual MP3 player (VLC).

The only thing that is having an effect is removing Izotope Mastering Essentials from the Master Bus. I have been using this for years inside of Mixcraft and finished a project just a few weeks ago with virtually the same preset settings in Izotope Mastering Essentials with no problem. So I don't really know if that is the problem. As far as I can tell, this is happening only within this project.

Obviously, I could go buy a current version of Izotope. Maybe the problem would go away, or maybe not. But maybe the problem is elsewhere or has been seen by others. Let me know if you have seen MP3s generated by Mixcraft with loud static or have any ideas about what might be causing it.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Glenn
Mr.Mxyzptlk

Re: Loud Static Burst when Mixing Down to MP3

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

This would happen to me sometimes too. Sometimes the track would mix down then Mixcraft would hang. So I would restart Mixcraft, mix down again and usually the track completed without any pops or freezes. I usually mix down to Wav also. i know it's been mentioned many times before, but just check that your bitrates are the same across all your systems.
i7-10700K 8Core @3.80 GHz, 128GB- 5TB NVMe+3TB SSD (Int) 4TB SSD (Ext)- Samsung 24"x3 Mon- PreSonus Studio 1810c+Eris E5 XT+Atom SQ- Yamaha Montage 7- AKG D5- Win 11 Pro- MX10 Pro- EastWest- Roland Cloud- KORG 4- Spitfire Audio- Heavyocity- 8Dio- NI
gmpolin

Post by gmpolin »

Mr.Mxyzptlk wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:42 pm This would happen to me sometimes too. Sometimes the track would mix down then Mixcraft would hang. So I would restart Mixcraft, mix down again and usually the track completed without any pops or freezes. I usually mix down to Wav also. i know it's been mentioned many times before, but just check that your bitrates are the same across all your systems.
I almost always set the bitrate to 320 when making the MP3, but I don't know what other systems you are referring to.

Glenn
hpharley90

Post by hpharley90 »

He might mean sample rate.
10.5 Pro studio build 596
Dell XPS i7-10700 2.9Ghz
48 GB RAM
Windows 10
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Assuming you are using Mixcraft 9, we have fixed the "exploding project" issue, for Mixcraft 10. Please try version 10 with the same project.
Mr.Mxyzptlk

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

hpharley90 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:25 am He might mean sample rate.
Sorry, yes I did.
i7-10700K 8Core @3.80 GHz, 128GB- 5TB NVMe+3TB SSD (Int) 4TB SSD (Ext)- Samsung 24"x3 Mon- PreSonus Studio 1810c+Eris E5 XT+Atom SQ- Yamaha Montage 7- AKG D5- Win 11 Pro- MX10 Pro- EastWest- Roland Cloud- KORG 4- Spitfire Audio- Heavyocity- 8Dio- NI
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

HI,

As Eric posted above, this problem may not even happen in Mixcraft 10. (We fixed a specific noise explosion problem).

But otherwise, the suggestion would be one of these:

1. Try mixing down to an audio file with the same sample rate as the one you're using in Mixcraft's sound device preferences. For example: if you're using 48000 Hz in sound device preferences, mix down to a wav file with a sample rate of 48000 Hz.

or...

2. If you want to go straight to MP3, change your sample rate in Mixcraft's sound device preferences to 44100 Hz.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
gmpolin

Post by gmpolin »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:31 am HI,

As Eric posted above, this problem may not even happen in Mixcraft 10. (We fixed a specific noise explosion problem).

But otherwise, the suggestion would be one of these:

1. Try mixing down to an audio file with the same sample rate as the one you're using in Mixcraft's sound device preferences. For example: if you're using 48000 Hz in sound device preferences, mix down to a wav file with a sample rate of 48000 Hz.

or...

2. If you want to go straight to MP3, change your sample rate in Mixcraft's sound device preferences to 44100 Hz.

Greg
Greg, I appreciate having a few specific things to try. However, my sample rate in the audio preferences is already 44,100 for the Focusrite 6i6. Whether I try a WAV file with a 44,100 sample rate or the MP3 file (I don't see any way of setting the sample rate on the mp3), I still get the loud burst of static.

Glenn
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Give it a try in Mixcraft 10: https://store.acoustica.com/downloads/m ... -installer

Greg
gmpolin

Post by gmpolin »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:37 pm Hi,

Give it a try in Mixcraft 10: https://store.acoustica.com/downloads/m ... -installer

Greg
Greg and Eric,
I didn't want to install Mixcraft 10 because I knew there would be some aggravation, trying to learn and get it to work. My time is limited while I try to finish a project. But I went ahead and did it. Yes, there were problems.

I have downloaded and installed Mixcraft 10 Studio. When I go to try to mix an mp3, it wants me to login. Now I obviously have a login to this forum, but I have no idea what login/password they are talking about. (I have been using Mixcraft since V7, and a search of my email doesn't turn up a password).

So I try to reset the password and get
"store.acoustica.com redirected you too many times.
Try clearing your cookies.
ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS"

I get the same message if I try to create a new account. So I am stuck. I can't try to mix an MP3 in Mixcraft 10 unless somebody can clear my "account info". I have several passwords stored in my saved passwords for acoustica, and none of them seem to work. (store.acoustica, demon.acoustica, forums.acoustica, acdc.acoustica)

This is not an ideal test anyway, as the Studio version is missing Melodyne, and so my audio files aren't the same. I have my own Melodyne license (I upgraded to Assistant). But even if I include the path to my version of Melodyne, when I try to load the project, I get a message that Mixcraft is "unable to load Melodyne data." So it isn't really an accurate test, as the audio files aren't the same. Will my Melodyne version and project data work in the PRO version?

Finally, I was hoping to hold on to my old version of Izotope Mastering Essentials. That was the whole point of the test, to replicate the problem in mastering in Mixcraft 9. However, Mixcraft 10 says that the Izotope DLL is "unloadable." Have you banned 32-bit versions? Even weirder is that I can see that the Izotope Mastering Essentials tool actually is open when I open the project.

Let me know if somebody can clear something on your end so I can create a new account. And let me know how to add my version of Melodyne Assistant to the project. Eventually, I will buy the Pro version but I have too much to do right now to deal with learning a new version.

Glenn
gmpolin

Post by gmpolin »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:37 pm Hi,

Greg
Subsequent to my long note, I decided to clear cookies, then tried to log in. I still got the same message about too many redirects.

Glenn
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

You can log into store.acoustica.com with your password for the old Acoustica store (which is almost certainly different than your password for these forums). We can give you a temporary password if you want.

You wouldn't even need to log in during your trial period to mix down, but having used Melodyne in the project complicates things. If you purchased Mixcraft 10 Pro Studio, it would install Melodyne 5, but you haven't purchased it yet, right? I don't see it in your account.

If you right-click to the left of the tracks that have Melodyne on them in Mixcraft 9 and select "Mix to New Audio Clip," do any of those tracks have the static burst in them? If not, save a copy of the project and load that into Mixcraft 10 to see if you can mix down to MP3 without the extra noise.

Greg
gmpolin

Post by gmpolin »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:30 pm Hi,

You can log into store.acoustica.com with your password for the old Acoustica store (which is almost certainly different than your password for these forums). We can give you a temporary password if you want.

You wouldn't even need to log in during your trial period to mix down, but having used Melodyne in the project complicates things. If you purchased Mixcraft 10 Pro Studio, it would install Melodyne 5, but you haven't purchased it yet, right? I don't see it in your account.

If you right-click to the left of the tracks that have Melodyne on them in Mixcraft 9 and select "Mix to New Audio Clip," do any of those tracks have the static burst in them? If not, save a copy of the project and load that into Mixcraft 10 to see if you can mix down to MP3 without the extra noise.

Greg
Greg, I might have been using a different email address back in the old days. And that address is gone (no longer exists). But give me a temporary password and I will try going to the store with it. We might need to create a new account. If there is no upgrade pricing for Mixcraft 10, then does it matter if I just start a new account?

No, I didn't purchase V10 yet. I thought the trial copy would be good enough to see if it solved the problem.

You say I wouldn't need to log in during the trial period to mix down, but every time I start the program, and every time I try to mix, I get asked to log in. So unless I can log in once, I can't see if Mixcraft 10 solves the problem.

I did understand what you meant about mixing the tracks to a new audio clip. If we can solve the login problem, I will convert those tracks in Mixcraft 9 to plain audio tracks before loading it into Mixcraft 10.

Glenn
Acoustica Greg

Re: Loud Static Burst when Mixing Down to MP3 (in Mixcraft 9)

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio owners can upgrade to Mixcraft 10 Pro Studio for $39. You'll need to log in with the account that has Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio, and then you'll just automatically see the discount price in the store. I'll email you a temporary password to the address you're using for these forums.

Greg
gmpolin

Re: Loud Static Burst when Mixing Down to MP3 (in Mixcraft 9)

Post by gmpolin »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:27 pm Hi,

Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio owners can upgrade to Mixcraft 10 Pro Studio for $39. You'll need to log in with the account that has Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio, and then you'll just automatically see the discount price in the store. I'll email you a temporary password to the address you're using for these forums.

Greg
Greg, thanks for sending the temporary code and the info about the upgrade price. I logged into the store successfully. I will try the Mixcraft software as soon as possible. (Doctor appointments today and tomorrow)

But can you clarify my question repeated below?

Finally, I was hoping to hold on to my old version of Izotope Mastering Essentials. That was the whole point of the test, to replicate the problem in mastering in Mixcraft 9. However, Mixcraft 10 says that the Izotope DLL is "unloadable." Have you banned 32-bit versions? Even weirder is that I can see that the Izotope Mastering Essentials tool actually is open when I open the project.

Mixcraft 10 said it is unloadable, and yet I see it open. I will probably switch away from depending on this, but I am trying to finish a project or two before moving. If I can't (or shouldn't) get this working in Mixcraft 10, I need to know.

Glenn