"Failed to load file, it may be corrupt."

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

b4nny

"Failed to load file, it may be corrupt."

Post by b4nny »

I tried opening a .mx4 project of mine just now and it says it "failed to Load the project" and "It may be corrupt." My other projects are still fine, though. I have done a lot of work on this one recently and it would be horrible to lose all that time. Is there any way to get the file to work again?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Any recordings you made should still be in your "My Recordings" folder, but we don't have any special utility that can attempt to recover corrupt .mx4 files.

Greg
b4nny

Post by b4nny »

This project was mostly midi instruments with some vocals recorded over it. :( What causes the files to become corrupt? Is there anything I can do to prevent it from happening again?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

They can become corrupt if you end the program while the file is saving, or if you lose power while the file is saving. If your hard drive has a corrupt directory structure or some bad sectors, that could be a problem. It generally does not happen very often. If you find it happening a lot, try to notice what you are doing that would cause it.

Save your projects early, save them often and make back-ups.

Greg
Acoustica Dan
Site Admin

Post by Acoustica Dan »

Look for a file with the same name, but with an extension of .mx4.backup. These backup files get created whenever you save over a project, in case the save fails.

This is there precisely to help you recover if your project gets corrupted. If you find the file, rename it to .mx4 and try loading it. You should be good!

Thanks,
Dan