MX 10 Selections

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

RStudio

Re: MX 10 Selections

Post by RStudio »

In general, shift+click and ctrl+click give different combinations to work with the selection function.
aj113

Post by aj113 »

Do those functions allow the user to adjust the current selection?
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Hi,

The gif I posted shows the same selection area expanding or contracting. Works in 9 too except in MC 10 SHIFT + CLICK automatically turns off snap to grid for precision.
aj113

Post by aj113 »

That's closer to what I'm requesting - but no cigar.

You can change a clip's length by hovering over its end until the pointer changes to a double arrow and then 'grabbing' it. I want the same flexibility for a clip selection.
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

Yes, as I said earlier.

Select the clips you want - either lasso or Ctrl click. Hover the mouse over the end of any one of them until you get the double arrows (or 'hands' if you hold Ctrl.) Then just hit Ctrl and drag.
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
aj113

Post by aj113 »

That will alter the clips themselves Trev. I want to alter the selection area only.
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

aj113 wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:08 am That will alter the clips themselves Trev. I want to alter the selection area only.
I get what you mean. Besides punch & loop, markers slide as well as selections in Melodyne. Seems like a natural thing to do.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

aj113 wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:08 am That will alter the clips themselves Trev. I want to alter the selection area only.
Hi,

It works in Mixcraft 9 as well. Give it a try. Both shift+click and ctrl+click, which behave slightly differently. The only tricky part is finding some bare track to click on.

Mixcraft 10 adds stuff like being able to drag automation around or alt+drag to duplicate it. You can hold down the Ctrl key when you drag a clip to make the automation travel along with it.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
aj113

Post by aj113 »

I'm obviously not explaining myself well enough. I don't want to edit the clips. I don't want to alter them. I don't want to change their length.

I want to select an area of a clip, then then alter the size of that selection so that it is exactly where I want it.

Put it this way: When you draw a selection, and you let go of the left mouse button, what do you do if the selection is the wrong size? You have to redraw it, right? What if that one is the wrong size too? You have to redraw it again...etc.

What would be your solution to this? To have the ability to adjust the size of the original selection.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Did you try it in Mixcraft 9? Make a selection, then hold down shift and click somewhere else. The selection box will change based on where you click. It doesn't resize clips.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:04 pm Hi,

Did you try it in Mixcraft 9? Make a selection, then hold down shift and click somewhere else. The selection box will change based on where you click. It doesn't resize clips.

Greg
I think aj113 feels that being able to slide it affords more accuracy and flexibility rather than clicking and hoping to land on the right spot.
aj113

Post by aj113 »

Greg
Ah - that's a whole lot better! Still a bit hit and miss though because there is no continuous adjustment; it still means having to click multiple times.
RStudio

Post by RStudio »

Overall. Developers from Acoustica need to create a special slider like here:
slider for selection.png
slider for selection.png (3.26 KiB) Viewed 29869 times
Selection slider.gif
Selection slider.gif (419.79 KiB) Viewed 29869 times
Selection slider cakewalk.gif
Selection slider cakewalk.gif (910.26 KiB) Viewed 29867 times

for selecting both a specific area and individual clips, which can be moved to any point by pressing a single mouse button. This would be much more convenient than just hitting the ctrl/shift+click shortcut.
RStudio

Post by RStudio »

aj113 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:38 pm

Greg
Ah - that's a whole lot better! Still a bit hit and miss though because there is no continuous adjustment; it still means having to click multiple times.
In order to expand the selection area you don't have to click multiple times. You can press (Ctrl/Shift + click) and without releasing the left mouse button you can stretch the selection to any point both to one side and to the other.
Try doing it this way.

(But in general it would be nice if the developers would add a slider because it's much easier with it.)
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

RStudio wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:18 am
aj113 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:38 pm

Greg
In order to expand the selection area you don't have to click multiple times. You can press (Ctrl/Shift + click) and without releasing the left mouse button you can stretch the selection to any point both to one side and to the other.
Try doing it this way.

(But in general it would be nice if the developers would add a slider because it's much easier with it.)
Yes, initially, but after you've already made your selection, you can't grab the ends. The selection will disappear and a new one is started. You have to ctrl+click elsewhere.