Weird stuttering in playback

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

ThoseFromHeaven

Weird stuttering in playback

Post by ThoseFromHeaven »

The Problem
So, I've looked through the forums a fair bit and couldn't really find out what has been causing my mixcraft to get stutter at certain parts of the track. I have a pretty decent PC and soundcard which should be able to handle it, but something seems to be causing it no matter how much i increase the buffer size.

What Task Manager says
Weirdly enough, when i double my buffer size from 416 to 832, it gets worse and if i divided it to 208, its still really bad. My CPU hardly goes above 40%, ram doesn't go above 40% usage. It does seem that it doesn't use more than 3.35MB of ram peaking at 3.9MB.

The only thing that stands out in task manager is the high power usage. But even shutting down most apps that are running in a process still doesn't help it.

Task manager has mixcraft set to real time priority.

Specs:
Mixcraft 9 recording studio (64 bit Build 469)
Using ASIO (most stable one to run)
CPU - Intel i7 6900k
Ram - Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 2400mhz
C drive is a samsung 970 pro 512GB
Plugins are in a separate SSD 1TB (850 Evo)
Focusrite Clarett 8pre USB
SA 48k, Buffer 416, delay 8.7ms

:shock: :( :?:
Check out my music:
https://linktr.ee/ThoseFromHeaven

Richard :)
jwarv

Re: Weird stuttering in playback

Post by jwarv »

I've had stuttering issues whenever I'd save while transport was moving or choosing vst. Since I upgraded to MC 10, it doesn't happen anymore.
cactus-head

Re: Weird stuttering in playback

Post by cactus-head »

Hi,

I've encountered similar issues and the CPU usage was below 30%. I'm not 100% sure what causes it but I think im my case it has to do with using virtual instruments that have large sample files. I was trying to track down the issue when I noticed high disk activity loading samples for the instrument. Also, whenever using certain iZotope effects plugins the stuttering would start. Especially Nectar 3.

I think it's related to the buffer size of the specific instrument and effects (some VSTs let you set the amount of disk space or memory that is being used) .

Try and identify if it's related to specific instruments or specific effects. When you say "it stutters in certain parts of the track" I know what you mean and I was able to make a loose correlation between disk access and the stuttering - but not 100% of the time. It often also happens when looping the same section over and over again. Even if the CPU doesn't go up, the stuttering will occur - sometimes (baffling).

I know this isn't much help but maybe puts you on a troubleshooting path. I don't know if the mixcraft log files would record anything if there wasn't an error, but maybe when it happens, start a ticket with acoustica explaining the problem and submit the log files.