Sample Rate Bug?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

aj113

Sample Rate Bug?

Post by aj113 »

I opened a new project and set the BPM.

I added some multitracks wavs (44.1kHz) from a client and recorded some extra vocals (also 44.1kHz).

I exported to wav (48kHz) but the exported file played back slow and the vocals were in a lower formant.

When I returned to the project, it was also now playing at the slower speed. I checked the BPM against a metronome app; it was correct, which means that the project had originally been playing too fast. The BPM was 109, but in the recording phase I calculated that it had been playing at 117 (which is the difference between 44.1kHz and 48kHz).

I am aware of the export issue when sample rates differ, but this is something different. The project was playing back too fast from the getgo, and so everything sounds in a lower formant when played back at the correct speed. (I have checked the raw wav files; they are also slow, with a low formant). It wasn't until I exported that the project started playing at the correct speed.

This is the second time this has happened. The problem is I can't recreate it. I thought if I could get the project to go back to the incorrect fast BPM, I could do a real-time bounce through my mixer instead of exporting but I just can't get it to go back to the faster speed.

I'm not expecting a solution to this issue; I think it's probably unique to my setup somehow. But if anyone has experienced similar, or has some suggestion as to what might be the problem, that would be a good start.
Acoustica Greg

Re: Sample Rate Bug?

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Double-check to see that there's no warping or time-stretch on the sound. Sometimes people unintentionally have the auto-beatmatch option on, which can time stretch AND warp.

Which version and build of Mixcraft are you using? Are you using ASIO mode in Mixcraft 9? If so, you could try turning off the option called "Use Device's Preferred Setting."

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
aj113

Re: Sample Rate Bug?

Post by aj113 »

Thank you Greg, I will check both of those tomorrow.