Best Faders for Using Orchestral Libraries

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Mr.Mxyzptlk

Best Faders for Using Orchestral Libraries

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

I'm looking for a decent fader primarily for use with orchestral libraries. I didn't realise they could be so expensive! I'm not really down with forking out 500 quid just for three or four sliders, or is that too simplistic a view?

Any recommendations or user experiences to share?

I've seen some on eBay for £70 but they can't be that good if the 'proper' ones are so dear?
i7-10700K 8Core @3.80 GHz, 128GB- 5TB NVMe+3TB SSD (Int) 4TB SSD (Ext)- Samsung 24"x3 Mon- PreSonus Studio 1810c+Eris E5 XT+Atom SQ- Yamaha Montage 7- AKG D5- Win 11 Pro- MX10 Pro- EastWest- Roland Cloud- KORG 4- Spitfire Audio- Heavyocity- 8Dio- NI
cactus-head

Re: Best Faders for Using Orchestral Libraries

Post by cactus-head »

Hello,

When I hear the term "fader" to me it only means an individual slider that controls volume. If you mean a mixer with several faders, it might be hard to find something inexpensive with enough faders to mix an orchestra. Are we talking 16 to 32 tracks or instruments?

What you could do is try and get a cheap MIDI controller that has maybe 9 faders on it and MIDI map those to the volumes on the tracks in Mixcraft.
I've seen some on eBay for £70 but they can't be that good if the 'proper' ones are so dear?
The difference with a MIDI controller and a mixing board would be the internal audio electronics. A midi controller doesn't really do anything with the audio signal. Also with a cheap mixer you might run into grounding problems, buzzing, lack of inputs or outputs, poor quality sound... it depends. If you are mixing orchestral libraries, then controlling the mix through a MIDI controller within the DAW or the library may be a better option than a hardware mixer unless you need it for other things.

I don't know if this would be your thing but my buddy uses one just for MIDI stuff in his DAW (reaper). He says it does what he needs it to do

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08VP24CG7/re ... RhaWw&th=1
Mr.Mxyzptlk

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

I don't want a mixer, just dedicated sliders for controlling expression and dynamics.

I've seen these on eBay...

But not sure about quality, reliability, compatibility etc. I currently just use the mod wheel on my Montage but it's not ideal. I've also got the Yamaha Expression Pedal but again, it's just not natural for me and I think it only works on the Montage anyway. Not really used it much.

I've seen these 3-slider fader things being used in tutorials and that's exactly what I want. I'll probably just bite the bullet and end up getting one anyway.
i7-10700K 8Core @3.80 GHz, 128GB- 5TB NVMe+3TB SSD (Int) 4TB SSD (Ext)- Samsung 24"x3 Mon- PreSonus Studio 1810c+Eris E5 XT+Atom SQ- Yamaha Montage 7- AKG D5- Win 11 Pro- MX10 Pro- EastWest- Roland Cloud- KORG 4- Spitfire Audio- Heavyocity- 8Dio- NI
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

What about something like a Korg nanoKONTROL2?
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

I've seen these 3-slider fader things being used in tutorials and that's exactly what I want. I'll probably just bite the bullet and end up getting one anyway.
There are better options for the money I think like what Greg mentioned.
Mr.Mxyzptlk

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

I did notice the Korg but wasn't sure if it had the range of travel I would need for full expressive control? The sliders seem quite short.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

A few people on these forums have one. You do get the full range of travel for Mixcraft's faders. It supports Mackie Control, so you don't have to do MIDI mapping.
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Mr.Mxyzptlk

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

Sounds promising. I'll check it out further. Thanks.
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

+1 for the Korg NanoKontrol2. Although the 'throw' is relatively short (4cm). I find it sensitive enough to give precise control. Also, if you don't use Mackie Control, and program the faders and other buttons accordingly, you can get the banks (of 8 faders) to shift left or right. So bank 1= faders 1>8; bank 2= faders 9>16 etc.
Pretty affordable too. 8)
https://www.amazon.com/Korg-nanoKONTROL ... 76218&th=1
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member

Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 8 gig RAM; Mixcraft 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro Studio; Win 11 Pro

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Going to +2 for the NK2, I only use it as a control surface not as a tool for playing vsti though. I have an Akai LPD8 and a korg 37 keyboard for that. Between those 3 I'm set for what I do.

M
Mr.Mxyzptlk

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

Thanks for the extra info, my good men. Final question: what is the slide action like? Is it smooth/continuous? I would want something with minimal resistance and really fluid?
Rolling Estonian

Mr.Mxyzptlk wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:24 pm Thanks for the extra info, my good men. Final question: what is the slide action like? Is it smooth/continuous? I would want something with minimal resistance and really fluid?
It's pretty smooth on the unit and the response with MC is spot on. Keep in mind, this isn't 'high end' so expectations should be tempered but as a hobbyist/enthuiast control surface goes it's solid.

M
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

I second M - smooth action on both faders and pan knobs.
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member

Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 8 gig RAM; Mixcraft 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro Studio; Win 11 Pro

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
Mr.Mxyzptlk

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

Ok, have ordered one. Should be with me Tuesday.
Rolling Estonian

When you get it I have a setup template for it that works for me, and judging by the number of downloads, others also.

M