Epic Bon Jovi

Use this forum to show off any audio delights you've created with Mixcraft!

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

RStudio

Epic Bon Jovi

Post by RStudio »

This is my cover of a song by Bon Jovi.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFOlggHD0iw
cactus-head

Re: Epic Bon Jovi

Post by cactus-head »

Hey that's very clever! Good job.

I started looking through other videos and noticed Magical Castle Portal. Good sound - very big and epic. But what I noticed is you using multiple parts on lanes as opposed to individual tracks. While this can work I think you are tying your hands a bit because you are eliminating being able to control or affect those individual sounds within the DAW. If you used a submix track, for instance, and then instead of lanes had individual tracks within the submix, you could control and mix all of those sounds within the submix and you could add effects to each individual track as well as the over-all submix. Using lanes removes those options.

My guess is you are using an orchestra VST that requires different MIDI channels for different articulations and you are grouping sections together under one instrument and using lanes with separate MIDI channels to activate those articulations. Your method seems to work but I think you may be sacrificing some control.

There's no right or wrong, it's just an observation.
RStudio

Post by RStudio »

Thanks for the detailed response!

I tried using the "Route to Track" function, which allowed me to work with midi on separate tracks, but I gave up using it because of the uncomfortable way of routing, delays both during playback and when working with individual vsts on the output channels. I still don't understand what this is related to.

This method doesn't allow rendering each midi track separately because the midi track is used to register keystrokes.
I had to constantly drag and drop the desired midi clips onto the instrument track of the kontakt sampler to render the file to the desired format (midi/audio).

So I had to go back to the old way. But I don't like this method either, because of the fact that working with a lot of midi clips on lanes increases the size of the track.

I had thoughts about not loading the whole group section (strings, percussion, etc.) into the sampler, but separating violins, violas, horns, and trombones from each other and transferring them to separate tracks.

This would make the work much easier and the track sizes would be normal, but the more kontakt tracks are involved in the work, the more CPU load is created.

If the project uses additional layers per group section, the load becomes even greater. I know about vienna ensemble pro, but it doesn't make sense to use it if only one computer is used in the job.

The load from the program will be shifted to an external host, but will not solve the CPU optimization problem. I recently bought a new computer, but the processor is an Intel Core i5.

By today's standards it is an outdated model, but it can handle old libraries quite well. So... I may have to use a combination of methods when working with large orchestral templates.
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Sounds like you're tackling the situation! :D