Weird - sus4 note won't play

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

mixyguy2

Weird - sus4 note won't play

Post by mixyguy2 »

Anyone else getting this? On various plugins, when I try to play a sus4, the second note (for ex F on a C key sus4) will not play. I've noticed this in MC 8 through 10.
cactus-head

Re: Weird - sus4 note won't play

Post by cactus-head »

Hello,

Never experienced that. What register are you playing in? I tried it from C0 F0 to C7 F7 and they all play. Could it be your hardware? Maybe the VST. I've experienced intervals or chords not being able to be played on certain VSTs when they are in legato or portamento modes. If the VST or hardware synth is in monophonic mode, that could be the issue too.

Try pressing CTRL + ALT + K . That will activate the MIDI typing keyboard. On your computer keyboard press 'A' 'F' 'G' simultaneously (that should be C,F,G musically). Should play a C sus4. Try 'S' 'G' 'H' simultaneously. Should play a D sus4 . If it's playing on the MC virtual keyboard, it's either your hardware or the VST you are using that is the problem. If it's not playing, and since your hardware is being bypassed in this scenario check the VST.
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

Thanks. In fact I'm using the MIDI typing keyboard. If this happened on just one plugin, I would have chalked it up to that plugin, but it's happened with various ones (I'll start keeping track of which ones for reference). I'm typically in the C4-C5 range, but haven't noticed it's about any particular octave (again I'll start monitoring more closely).
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Interesting. If i dial back the clock 15 years or so this sounds similar to a problem that came up when programming games.

Are you using a usb or blutooth keyboard? When ps2 (not play playstation) keyboards started getting replaced more and more with usb keyboards, the scan codes that read from the keys would often be in conflict. Certain keys would take priority over others so you couldn't press some keys at the same time.

I know "gaming" keyboarda started making an appearance which addressed this issue and others. Also changes in usb helped.
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

? I'm using my laptop's keyboard...and it's not a very old one :)
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

One thing that's different from computer to computer: PC keyboards have a limit to the number of keys you can press simultaneously.

Some PC keyboards allow more keys to be pressed at once than others.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

Thanks but that's definitely not it as I can play a sus2 or a Maj C (in that example) just fine.

When I get a chance to tinker around, I'll try and find some examples to post (what plugins) FWIW. Appreciate the replies!