Rename VSTs?

Discussions of VST and VST3 plugins for Mixcraft users.

Moderators: Acoustica Eric, rsaintjohn

W1tchseason

Rename VSTs?

Post by W1tchseason »

Hi - I suspect that I know that the answer is 'no' but still... is there any way to change the name of a VSTi or effect that appears in the plugins list?
For example, I may have a VSTi called 'Snogburglar' that is actually a VCS3 emulator - but I keep forgetting that and have to load it to see what it does. Would be nice to be able to rename it so that it says something like 'VCS3 - Snogburglar'. Alternatively, a way to filter or tag/classify VSTis and effects so that all the electric pianos are groued together, all the reverbs are grouped together, etc.
Thanks, all
J.
Acoustica Greg

Re: Rename VSTs?

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

In Mixcraft 10, click on the File menu, select Manage Plug-Ins, then right-click on the plugin and select Rename Plug-In.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
W1tchseason

Post by W1tchseason »

Was it *that* simple? Sheesh...
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

W1tchseason wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:30 pm Was it *that* simple? Sheesh...
You don't have to rename them. You can even create your own groups and assign the vsts to multiple groups as you want. This is even more practical. Simply create groups such as mixing, sound design, pianos, etc. This is absolutely perfect in Mixcraft 10 because the groups are offered to you in the context menu.
aquataur

Post by aquataur »

If you are speaking about organizing plugins - that was available long before V10.
I have renamed the plugins for a long time. Only a few refused to work this way, but you notice immediately.
My previous speaker is right that you find them quicker once you group them, however you identify them quicker glancing at the effect slots, particularly because they often have lengthy names and you only see half of them in the window.

I did not know about the shortcut, but you can of course rename them in the directory they reside in.
I have btw all vst´s in a certain directory off the disk that hosts the operating system (on a different disk), which was very handy when I upgraded disk and OS.
C# or Bb!