Change key (change notes)? Possible?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

rev.f

Change key (change notes)? Possible?

Post by rev.f »

Season's greetings. I want to know if it possible to automatically change the key AND SO automatically change the notes of a passage. (I know it's possible to fiddle with the key, and it changes the notes, but it DOESN'T seem to change what the notes read as on the piano/score viewer). I know it's lazy and I should just change the notes, but I'm working with a large midi file so if it's possible to convert the key AND the notes (as they read) to conform to the key, that would save me some time. Thx.
TrevsAudio

Re: Change key (change notes)? Possible?

Post by TrevsAudio »

Not sure if this is what you mean...

If you select a midi clip and open the sound tab, you can select 'Transpose' and then raise or lower in semi-tones or key, and the notes will all follow.
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
rev.f

Post by rev.f »

TrevsAudio wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:24 am Not sure if this is what you mean...

If you select a midi clip and open the sound tab, you can select 'Transpose' and then raise or lower in semi-tones or key, and the notes will all follow.
Thanks Trev. That's correct, but just shifting the notes manually won't keep in the right key, if you know what I mean.

This might be too complex to explain in a forum like this. But the Mixcraft key change works very well on the digital notes: The SOUND of the notes all change. But if you look at the notes in the viewer (or whatever it's called), the notes are the same, even though they are correctly playing in the right key sound-wise. I noticed that if I mix the digital track to audio, and then convert that audio back to digital, THEN the notes are the correct notes both digitally and sound-wise. If that makes any sense.
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Hi,

You can use something like notemapper to intercept specific MIDI notes (all of them if you want) and output a different value. This would have to be recorded onto another track in order for the MIDI value to be actually recorded at the new pitch on the piano roll. There's a scale feature that will change the output values to specific scale based on the start note.
rev.f

Post by rev.f »

cactus-head wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:01 pm Hi,

You can use something like notemapper to intercept specific MIDI notes (all of them if you want) and output a different value. This would have to be recorded onto another track in order for the MIDI value to be actually recorded at the new pitch on the piano roll. There's a scale feature that will change the output values to specific scale based on the start note.
Thanks Cactus. Where can I find this notemapper and the scale feature?
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Hi,

Check it out here:

https://codefn42.com/notemapper/

It might take a minute to understand. There's a manual that comes with it. The basic premise is, for each MIDI note that listed on the left, you can map it to do something else: play a different note, send a CC, change velocity - whatever. For example, if I have a C4 play on the piano roll, I can use Notemapper to take that note and output an F4. The idea being I could raise everything up chromatically 5 semitones and anything playing in C for example would now play in the key of F. The relationships between notes would be the same because everything is raised up those semitones.

If I record that output onto another track, then the new piano roll would have that key change. Using automation, I could enage or disengage the specific channel or all channels Notemapper is receiving from the piano role so I can transpose, so to speak, only when I want to.

Read through the manual and play around with it and see if it does what you want.

If you are using MC 10.1 enable Notemapper as a recording source and use that as the input on the second track you would record the piano roll to.
rev.f

Post by rev.f »

cactus-head wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:12 pm Hi,

Check it out here:

https://codefn42.com/notemapper/

It might take a minute to understand. There's a manual that comes with it. The basic premise is, for each MIDI note that listed on the left, you can map it to do something else: play a different note, send a CC, change velocity - whatever. For example, if I have a C4 play on the piano roll, I can use Notemapper to take that note and output an F4. The idea being I could raise everything up chromatically 5 semitones and anything playing in C for example would now play in the key of F. The relationships between notes would be the same because everything is raised up those semitones.

If I record that output onto another track, then the new piano roll would have that key change. Using automation, I could enage or disengage the specific channel or all channels Notemapper is receiving from the piano role so I can transpose, so to speak, only when I want to.

Read through the manual and play around with it and see if it does what you want.

If you are using MC 10.1 enable Notemapper as a recording source and use that as the input on the second track you would record the piano roll to.
Thx. I'll try it. And I'm getting MC 10 from Santa