BBC Orchestra - free vs core / pro for multi track

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

MikeDVI

BBC Orchestra - free vs core / pro for multi track

Post by MikeDVI »

Hi all, and Happy Holiday season.

I am using the BBC free orchestra and want to set up multi outputs, however that (to my understanding) is only available on the pro version.

Internet searching shows many folks setting up the VST to run in, say, 20, 30, 50 or more tracks (yikes) - where each track is a separate instrument. Has anyone done this, or set up a template for this? MX 9 or 10 pro studio

From what I am reading out there the vst runs well even loaded on that many tracks, however if I need to spend some cash for something else to get the option of (multiple outs) without blowing up my processor then so be it. Just getting some ideas from those of you using orchestra VST's.

My system specs are in the sig below.

Thanks for any tips!

Edit - I set up a 47 track template and it loads, (takes about 3 minutes to load up) seems to work OK, but here I am with Spitfire loaded on 47 tracks, each one set to a different instrument or playing style. Seems like a disaster waiting to happen if I load up a ton of tracks?

Mike
MX10.5 Pro Studio B 586. Presonus 1818vsl AI, Dell XPS 8930 Core I9-9900 3.10 GHz, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 64-GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce 2060, 1 and 2 TB SSD’s + 1 and 2 TB spinner sata’s, cookies and coffee.
Acoustica Greg

Re: BBC Orchestra - free vs core / pro for multi track

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

On the Mixcraft side, you can click the Config button to control how many outs each track has, so if you only want to have 5 instruments on a track, you can choose to display only those 5 outs.

Greg

Configuring Kontakt output channels in Mixcraft 10.
Configuring Kontakt output channels in Mixcraft 10.
configMX10.png (131.7 KiB) Viewed 9514 times
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
MikeDVI

Post by MikeDVI »

Thanks Greg!

I have used that trick, it works very well. I wish I could get Spitfire to route out that way! So far things are working out, I have recorded about 16 tracks with Spitfire on each track and it is running at about 10% (at peaks) of processor. Prolly will mix it down to a stem or separate .wav and use that track in the song that the orchestra is going in.

Mike
MX10.5 Pro Studio B 586. Presonus 1818vsl AI, Dell XPS 8930 Core I9-9900 3.10 GHz, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 64-GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce 2060, 1 and 2 TB SSD’s + 1 and 2 TB spinner sata’s, cookies and coffee.
Mr.Mxyzptlk

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

MikeDVI wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:21 pm Thanks Greg!

I have used that trick, it works very well. I wish I could get Spitfire to route out that way! So far things are working out, I have recorded about 16 tracks with Spitfire on each track and it is running at about 10% (at peaks) of processor. Prolly will mix it down to a stem or separate .wav and use that track in the song that the orchestra is going in.

Mike
That was going to be my next plan....to create a template with all the various articulations. I was in an EastWest live streaming event just before xmas and the guy running the session had a template with 228 tracks with all of the Fantasy Orchestra libraries in them. But he was using Logic Pro.

How long did it take you to set up your template? My current project is using the BBC SO Professional as well as Albion Colossus, EastWest Hollywood Fantasy Orchestra, and some NI libraries. I have always wanted a template but didn't really know how to approach it. My last project had about 60 tracks and was hovering at the 3% mark.
i7-10700K 8Core @3.80 GHz, 128GB- 5TB NVMe+3TB SSD (Int) 4TB SSD (Ext)- Samsung 24"x3 Mon- PreSonus Studio 1810c+Eris E5 XT+Atom SQ- Yamaha Montage 7- AKG D5- Win 11 Pro- MX10 Pro- EastWest- Roland Cloud- KORG 4- Spitfire Audio- Heavyocity- 8Dio- NI
MikeDVI

Post by MikeDVI »

Hey Mr.Mxyzptlk,

That template is up to about 48 tracks for now. On my first usage of it I am up to 22 tracks, it runs good but I will be starting a separate thread about a hiccup. To answer your question, it took me about an hour to set it up initially, now still tweaking with colors and submix panels for strings, brass, etc.

The other hiccup is MX10 "freezing" when I play. The song plays, but the screen is frozen or stutters quite a bit. Could be a setting on my end, but again I will take that to a new topic.

Mike
Mr.Mxyzptlk

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

Your system should be able to take a beating from that spec. What about the drive sizes/configuration? How are your libraries setup?
i7-10700K 8Core @3.80 GHz, 128GB- 5TB NVMe+3TB SSD (Int) 4TB SSD (Ext)- Samsung 24"x3 Mon- PreSonus Studio 1810c+Eris E5 XT+Atom SQ- Yamaha Montage 7- AKG D5- Win 11 Pro- MX10 Pro- EastWest- Roland Cloud- KORG 4- Spitfire Audio- Heavyocity- 8Dio- NI
MikeDVI

Post by MikeDVI »

All of my VST's run off from a secondary internal SSD. 2 TB, about 40% full. Main drive is 1TB SSD. Libraries are setup by vendor, IE "Spitfire Libraries", Kontakt Libraries", Indiginus libraries, etc, where each folder contains the actual VST (s) from that vendor. Backups are done to an external 2TB SSD / with an external spinner for a secondary.

This is the only song that is doing this, I am very suspicious of Spitfire. That said, I saw in my other post you suggested closing the VST's on channels that are "done". I don't think I did that, so will check it out later. Could be the culprit and Thanks!!

Mike
Mr.Mxyzptlk

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

My issues are usually with EastWest libraries. Have never had problems with Spitfire Audio and have tried to avoid buying their libraries that run in Kontakt, though not always possible.

Are you saying you don't use the Windows VST3 folder?
MikeDVI

Post by MikeDVI »

Mr.Mxyzptlk wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:47 pm My issues are usually with EastWest libraries. Have never had problems with Spitfire Audio and have tried to avoid buying their libraries that run in Kontakt, though not always possible.

Are you saying you don't use the Windows VST3 folder?
Never tried E-W, but heard good things. So much stuff! I do in fact use the standard vst's folder, for stock MX stuff etc. My "after market" stuff is in it's own place on a seperate SS drive. Now tonight I cold rebooted and that problem song is fine. Maybe a bottleneck forms in RAM after a while, I don't know. Melodyne has done this in the past as well (editor v5) .

Bottom line I am convinced this is not an MX issues. I am going to try to delete that other thread b/c I made an idiot out of myself and not sure if admin appreciated the way I worded things...

Thanks again for the chat!

Mike
Mr.Mxyzptlk

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

No worries. Glad you got it sorted. :) Mixcraft seems to be behaving itself a lot better for me too, so now close to finishing project.