Takes in Loop Mode Split Issue

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

TrevsAudio

Re: Takes in Loop Mode Split Issue

Post by TrevsAudio »

Oh! I just loop short sections (like a verse) and just play until I think I have enough takes for a decent comp.

Well, that needs to be fixed then for sure, Patrick.
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

edited post below
Last edited by cactus-head on Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

cactus-head wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:20 pm How are you making it happen?

Record a clip. Loop the section. Then pick different start points to record takes?

I cannot get it to happen. Even with the "switch to Clip time" button engaged
It had nothing to do with "clip time", so I deleted the post again. It's like Greg says, it always happens now. But only in loop mode and recording mode=takes. And why then only when loop is active? None of this makes sense to me :mrgreen: I think it has to be fixed.
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

i got it. You have to click at a point where a clip is already recorded on a lane and then the take will split all those clips above it within the track at the start point.

As new functionality I see how it could be useful. If you want to keep the take at that point, you can just delete the sections above you want to replace. But at the same time, sometimes you want to crossfade the new take into the old at the point you recorded.

Personally, I always use overdub recording and almost never take recording so I would have not noticed this - and I don't usually loop over the section.

I think these are instances where punch-in punch-out are the most useful if the goal is trying to replace a section of the take at the recording point and not the entire take itself. But it is weird that takes divide up the clips above them as new lanes are created. That seems like it should be a toggle switch and not the standard behavior.

I agree ths needs fixing
aj113

Post by aj113 »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:16 pm ...with Takes we assume that you probably want to discard the previous audio.
Why would you assume that? It makes no sense at all. What if you want to layer up multiple harmony lines? I do that all that time; thank god I didn't upgrade from 9!
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

aj113 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:44 pm
Acoustica Greg wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:16 pm ...with Takes we assume that you probably want to discard the previous audio.
Why would you assume that? It makes no sense at all. What if you want to layer up multiple harmony lines? I do that all that time; thank god I didn't upgrade from 9!
Hi,

Because you are in Takes mode, which mutes all the previous clips. For harmony, you'd use Overdub mode.

At any rate, I'm passing along this feedback.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

I can't compare my takes anymore either. If I want to listen to a previous take, I have to unmute 20 clips. And many of them have been split into micro clips. First of all, I have to enlarge it properly. It really doesn't work that way.
Last edited by ppayne on Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aj113

Post by aj113 »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:47 pm
Because you are in Takes mode, which mutes all the previous clips. For harmony, you'd use Overdub mode.
Maybe you would Greg, but I don't. It's a lot easier just to sing the same line over and over again in solitude without being distracted by previous takes. If I'd upgraded to 10 it would have been the first thing I noticed. For me, it would render the function useless.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

aj113 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:54 pm
Acoustica Greg wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:47 pm
Maybe you would Greg, but I don't. It's a lot easier just to sing the same line over and over again in solitude without being distracted by previous takes. If I'd upgraded to 10 it would have been the first thing I noticed. For me, it would render the function useless.
Hi,

You can still do that in Mixcraft 10.

Greg
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

ppayne wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:53 pm I can't compare my takes anymore either. If I want to listen to a previous take, I have to unmute 20 clips. And many of them have been split into micro clips. First of all, I have to enlarge it properly. It really doesn't work that way.
Hi,

This is happening because you're clicking inside the looped area. What happens if you just record for the entire looped area? That would make it work exactly like you expected, right? Or maybe drag the looped area to match the section you want to work on?

Greg
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:00 pm
ppayne wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:53 pm I can't compare my takes anymore either. If I want to listen to a previous take, I have to unmute 20 clips. And many of them have been split into micro clips. First of all, I have to enlarge it properly. It really doesn't work that way.
Hi,

This is happening because you're clicking inside the looped area. What happens if you just record for the entire looped area? That would make it work exactly like you expected, right? Or maybe drag the looped area to match the section you want to work on?

Greg
I loop my whole song and try different melodies. The simplest case is that I got lost in the loop during the recording and therefore press stop. Then it's already happened. Everything split to any point when I pressed stop. I just want different takes and MC shouldn't shred my existing takes on his own. I think it's clear that it doesn't work that way. Give it to development so that it becomes functional again. If someone needs the shredder, then they can set an option maybe.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

We're having a discussion about this feature in the bug report I filed. Thanks for your feedback!

Greg
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

Was this issue fixed in the release?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Since this was a feature, the developer isn't sure he wants to "fix" it. It only arises when a person is constantly changing the start point of the take in loop mode; most people would be doing takes on the same section.

It's a feature because it splits out the section that you're doing takes on so you can easily delete the earlier takes.

Greg
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

Hi Greg,

I know it's not your fault. Has the developer ever tried this? I think no. It has nothing to do with the starting point. The same thing happens with the stop point. He can call it feature all he wants. It makes zero sense and destroys all takes.

Honestly, it takes 10 minutes to implement an option for this in the settings and fix the problem. As you yourself noticed, you too considered it a bug first until the developer tried to make it a feature. I think someone is making wrong decisions about what makes sense.

A completely pointless decision from a developer who obviously doesn't use take mode himself. The developer can also simply delete the takes. That is also a feature.

There's nothing more you can say about it other than unbelievable.

Edit :
That's why I suggest implementing an option in the settings. Then the developer doesn't need to be sure.

Patrick