MIDI CC Routing VSTi to VST effect doesn't work anymore

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

ppayne

MIDI CC Routing VSTi to VST effect doesn't work anymore

Post by ppayne »

The MIDI routing from an instrument preset to the effect section on the track no longer works in the latest build. In addition, you can no longer learn midi cc within effect vsts if the effects themselves support midi learn.

The midi rounting hardly works anyway. Now it doesn't work at all since build 584 :oops:
midi_routing.png
midi_routing.png (369.52 KiB) Viewed 26026 times
Patrick
Last edited by ppayne on Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cactus-head

Re: MIDI Routing doesn't work at all anymore

Post by cactus-head »

Is "Enable VST controls in MIDI-Learn mode" under preferences > Plug-Ins checked or unchecked?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

What cactus-head wrote, plus this is working for me:

Use MIDI from track in Mixcraft 10.
Use MIDI from track in Mixcraft 10.
useMIDIfromtrackMX10.png (37.87 KiB) Viewed 25415 times

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

Thx cactus,

it is enabled. It seems as if MIDI CC which is generated by a VSTi is no longer routed further into the effects on a track when selecting the MIDI source. I think in version 9 I could still use this as a last resort to route CC messages generated from a VSTi into an effect to automate parameters. I guess that's just not possible anymore :cry: I've updated the thread title

edit:
the reason that MIDI Learn doesn't work in the effects is due to VST3. If you use VST2 it still works.

Patrick
Acoustica Greg

Re: MIDI CC Routing VSTi to VST effect doesn't work anymore

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Isn't this the feature request you made for Mixcraft 9? Using CC from a plugin for MIDI control? We've still got a feature request filed on this.

Greg
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:06 pm Hi,

Isn't this the feature request you made for Mixcraft 9? Using CC from a plugin for MIDI control? We've still got a feature request filed on this.

Greg
Hi Greg,

Not exactly. The feature request is for routing the midi cc etc from the VSTi into the effects within the instrument preset. Then you wouldn't need the workaround via the track effects I try to use and you could save it as a complete instrument preset and reuse it in many projects. In this case I try to use the workaround via track effects as I used before in MC 9.

Edit:

But if you think about whether the feature request would fix the problem, then that's true. But I think now the workaround no longer works and the feature isn't there yet.

Patrick
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

What is the workaround, exactly? And does it still work in Mixcraft 9?

Greg
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

It's not as easy. I can no longer start MC 9. I switched completely to mc 10. That's why I can't try it out right now. It's not that important that I need it right now.

The workaround was the following:

1. You need a VSTi that produces cc messages. So no cc controller. In my case, a self-developed VSTi. Alternatively, NoteMapper or something that can generate midi cc when you play the keys or generate it by by a lfo VSTi.

2. Then a VSTi that generates audio and routes cc through or ignores it after the cc generator VSTi. In my case I used Korg Triton VSTi.

3. An effect on the track that can be controlled via Midi cc. Infiltrator 2 for example or any other.

4. On the track, select your own track as the source for Midi under the effects. So that everything that comes from the track and VSTi is also routed into the effect here. I think that was possible in mc 9 if I remember right.

5. In the effect itself, configure a parameter for the delivered cc message.

After that it should work. Of course I know it was extremely complicated. But that was the only way I think I used as workaround.

I'll try it again in mc 9 asap and give feedback. As I said, it's not that important because the workaround was totally complicated and couldn't be transferred to other projects. But it was the only way I have found.

It make more sense to concentrate on the feature request, it solves all this routing things forever in that case and gives the possibility to save and reuse the settings within a simple instrument preset. I hope that comes at any time.

Patrick
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Hi

Just chiming in:

Wasn't part of the original request or problem that the addable controllers from an Effect or an instrument didn't retain their CC settings when the project or mixcraft was closed? So if you set up a series of presets that routed or controlled certain instrument or effect parameters, these would disappear every time you started you project:

MC 10 Controllers.JPG
MC 10 Controllers.JPG (163.36 KiB) Viewed 23528 times
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

That would be a bug. Is that still happening?

Greg
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

cactus-head wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:59 pm Hi

Just chiming in:

Wasn't part of the original request or problem that the addable controllers from an Effect or an instrument didn't retain their CC settings when the project or mixcraft was closed? So if you set up a series of presets that routed or controlled certain instrument or effect parameters, these would disappear every time you started you project:

MC 10 Controllers.JPG
This doesn't just happen with the project. This also happens in the instrument preset itself. I reported this bug about 5 or 6 years ago in Mixcraft 7 or 8 and a few times here in the forum in couple with reuse of instrument presets in MC 9. I haven't tried it in mixcraft 10. But I don't think it's been fixed. I have nothing found in the release notes about it. Just create a preset with Midi controller module configured, save it and then try to reuse it in other projects.
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

I just tested it for a project - the MIDI controllers remained when reloading the project - so it works there.

I tested saving a preset on an effect - it doesn't work there. The controllers are not saved as part of the preset.
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

cactus-head wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:55 am I just tested it for a project - the MIDI controllers remained when reloading the project - so it works there.
I can still remember that the project only worked sometimes. Maybe stop MC and then start it again and open the project. In mixcraft 9 the midi controllers were suddenly all gone.
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

MC 10, closing MC and opening the project works with the controllers.

But again, saving a preset and then recalling it at another time doesn't recall the set controllers.
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

cactus-head wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:08 pm But again, saving a preset and then recalling it at another time doesn't recall the set controllers.
Yes, this problem should finally be fixed at some point. I haven't used the Midi controller modules since version 8 because everything always gets lost. Although the idea of ​​these controllers is great to map parameters when the vst don't have midi learn. But it doesn't help, it just isn't saved.