External Gear Midi Sequencing question.

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

squeakie

External Gear Midi Sequencing question.

Post by squeakie »

Why does the Midi Input and Output indicator within MixCraft both light up at the same time when using external gear for midi sequencing? I have this happening on my Yamaha MOXF6, Roland Fantom 06, and on the Roland Integra 7. I set up the track properly by selecting the gear, I then set up all the appropriate lanes with assigned midi ch’s. I can record and playback fine, but when I’m playing or recording both IN and OUT light up. Upon playback it works fine and just OUT lights up.

Sqk
Yamaha MOXF6, Roland Juno-Di, Casio MZX500, Roland RS70, M-Audio Venom, M-Audio Hammer88, Casio PX330, M-Audio Keystation 49 MK3, Yamaha DGX-670 digital piano, Behringer Studio Monitors, MixCraft 9 Pro, Studio One 5, Cakewalk, Zenbeats,
cactus-head

Re: External Gear Midi Sequencing question.

Post by cactus-head »

It sounds like MIDI feedback.

Your input and outputs are set to the same device and channels.

If you are using something like the integra, you are using that as a playback device - so I would guess you are using your hardware in general for playback. You say lanes so I'm guessing you recording multiple parts on different lanes on a single track. In the MIDI Devices drop down, you probably have All MIDI input devices set and All channels or you have the specific hardware identified.

On the instrument selection you probably have External Midi devices selected and you identify the hardware you are playing back to.

You can't have both situations active at the same time or you will get phasing, missing notes or even a lock up. Deactivate the external instrument while you are recording, then switch the input to some other device on playback and/or choose a specific channel that isn't part of your setup.
squeakie

Re: External Gear Midi Sequencing question.

Post by squeakie »

Thank you! I'm so used to setting up multitimbral VST's in MixCraft using lanes that i just took this approach with my external gear when I should have been selecting my external gear separately for each track and not using lanes. I got it working properly now.

Sqk
Yamaha MOXF6, Roland Juno-Di, Casio MZX500, Roland RS70, M-Audio Venom, M-Audio Hammer88, Casio PX330, M-Audio Keystation 49 MK3, Yamaha DGX-670 digital piano, Behringer Studio Monitors, MixCraft 9 Pro, Studio One 5, Cakewalk, Zenbeats,