Are multiple buffer settings possible?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

unclemeat

Are multiple buffer settings possible?

Post by unclemeat »

I don't think it's possible in Mixcraft but I think it would be a nice feature to be able to set a different buffer size for playback and recording. I continue to get crackling when I playback in Mixcraft at a 256 buffer and at the same time do other things on my computer such as using my browser. At 512 buffer, the crackling disappears, but I don't want to record at 512 as the latency is too high when using Mixcraft to monitor the recorded audio.

If I could set playback buffer at 512 and recording buffer at 256, that would be great.

What would be even more great is if I didn't experience the crackling at all which really only started after upgrading to Mixcraft 10 / Windows 11. My previous build was Mixcraft 9 / Windows 10 and I didn't have these issues.
cactus-head

Re: Are multiple buffer settings possible?

Post by cactus-head »

Hello,

While the below doesn't address multiple buffers, it does talk about addressing a possible cause for latency. But before going in this direction, make sure all of your drivers are up to date. Windows, realtek, and you audio interface.

Windows 11 has a lot of complexities in its attempts to make everything "normalized" across the board for the user's experience. This may cause some functionality that is unfavorable.

The power management can be an issue with certain applications and may affect latency. You can get close to real time performance by managing your power distribution. The thing is, certain tweaks or hacks in this regard may increase your CPU core temperatures as it may draw on them for better performance. There is something we can refer to as CPU throttling or power throttling that will "pull back" power when the system thinks things are getting out of wack. By default, CPU throttling will be manged by Windows 11 to keep everything balanced. It will lower the clock rate to reduce heat internally and to help laptop batteries last longer. This can affect latency on everything from audio to video to mouse input. To help with latency, one could turn off CPU throttling. But one should also be aware of the risks.

Check out this link. There may be information that is helpful.

https://www.itechtics.com/cpu-throttling/

There is a program that can analyze latency on your system and give you suggestions to correct it. I haven't used it but read about it. You may want to check it out:

https://resplendence.com/latencymon

And finally, if you want to go crazy with the CPU throttling, here is a video that goes into a "next level" set of tweaks:

https://youtu.be/hWUjbfLZzJY
unclemeat

Post by unclemeat »

Wow thanks for the detailed reply and links. I've tried most of your suggestions already. I haven't tried anything with the CPU per se, other than power management settings. I'll check out the links!

Still, I think multiple buffers would be a nice feature and it's something that I think some other DAWS have.
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

unclemeat wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:19 am it would be a nice feature to be able to set a different buffer size for playback and recording.
Interesting thought. But the playback is practically always running, even when you record. Or do you mean in solo mode? But even then, at least the instrument you are currently recording must be played.

I could imagine different buffer sizes for solo mode and all tracks mode. But most of the time you probably want to hear your existing tracks when recording I think.

Patrick
unclemeat

Post by unclemeat »

I guess I was thinking that if you arm an audio track, Mixcraft would go to the "recording" buffer setting and otherwise, the buffer would be set to the "playback" setting. While recording an audio track, one is much less likely to use other applications on their computer at the same time, so I think this would work, even though yes you are right - during recording, there is also usually playback happening on other tracks.

The limited research I've done suggests that Logic, ProTools and Cubase all have these settings.