Frequent Crash on loading Projects

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Salad

Frequent Crash on loading Projects

Post by Salad »

Hello!
I've been struggling with this issue for a while, but seems to be almost 100% on certain files now.
I do notice a lot of this in the crash log:

```21:12:19 [221 mils] : VST3 Unknown Exception caught in call to processBlock().
21:12:21 [378 mils] : Exception in module C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\Kontakt 7.vst3 (loaded at 0x9B650000) at location 0x00903220, line number 0x00902220
21:12:21 [766 mils] : Access Violation at 000000009bf53220: f0 41 0f c1 44 0e 08 83 f8 01 75 1a```

So I guess it's Kontakt 7 related. My newest project which does have Kontakt instruments does work though.

I've sent the zipped logs at around March 31, 9:10 PM PST (that's today).
Acoustica Greg

Re: Frequent Crash on loading Projects

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Thank you for sending in your log files, but none of them (going back to March 24th) show that error message.

There's no problem in general with Kontakt 7 as far as we know. It would help to see a full log file from a session where it crashes.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Salad

Post by Salad »

Hi Greg!

Sorry for the inconvenience. It doesn't seem like the zipped logs contain the newest crash log. I'm not really sure why that is. I've cleared logs, reinstalled Mixcraft, just to be sure. The issue is it looks like it's not writing to the logs on the crash, since it's on startup and load of the project files.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

It should show up. Try loading that project again, then send us your log files again.

Greg
Salad

Post by Salad »

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be the case. I've loaded multiple projects that are all consistently crashing now without the log updating. Actually, the crash log file is missing entirely - that might be my fault when I was clearing it out before reinstalling earlier. There is only the standard log.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

The Mixcraft-crash log is only generated under certain circumstances. Mixcraft has to "know" it crashed. Otherwise, the Mixcraft-log file will show what's going on.

Did you upload your logs from a session when the problem happened?

Greg
Salad

Post by Salad »

Hi Greg, thank you for replying so quickly every time.

The logs I attempted to send should have been the ones from March 31, but it seems it was dated earlier. I will send in my latest one now - which was mostly attempting to open up projects and crashing, with some others that were successful. I have just sent in my newest logs at April 2 6:20 PM today, as of this post.

Mixcraft has been a joy to learn and use, and I recommend to everyone if the subject of music and DAWs come up. Thank you again for the prompt support!
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

These new log files are from Monday and today. They don't show you loading any projects or any obvious crashes. A crash won't always show up in a log file, but if Mixcraft froze, for example, the the log file might end abruptly. There's nothing like that either. They also don't show you loading Kontakt. Maybe you deleted those log files?

Please get the problem to happen again, then upload your log files.

Greg
Salad

Post by Salad »

Hello,

I've uploaded a screen recording of me opening up Mixcraft into new projects, some successful ones, and a lot of ones that are now consistently crashing. One of them is on a 18 second track and is struggling to load in before it crashes.
Unfortunately from looking at the Mixcraft log it doesn't seem like they may be showing up. The video is at 1x real time speed so this is the loading attempt on my machine specs along with the freezing.

This seems like a very tricky issue to resolve given that it's not writing to the logs. For now I'll do some spring cleaning on my VSTs and prune just in case that's affecting anything.

I have uploaded the logs and you can see me do so as well at the end of the video.

Thank you again for all the help,

Sarah

https://youtu.be/vDaC7eDCffQ?si=XDAsnJh92mj1bwCo
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

You must have deleted the earlier log files that showed Kontakt before you sent the log files last time, because these latest log files do show projects loading Kontakt. As I mentioned before, not all crashes show up in the log file. It looks like you have Kontakt 7 version 7.9.0, which is newer than what I had, so I updated. I loaded a couple of projects and I didn't have any issues. You've also got a lot of other big plugins aside from Kontakt in those projects. We've seen problems with plugins like LABS in the past. Is it only happening with Kontakt projects?

Can you please send us one of the project files that consistently does this? Submit an Acoustica Support Request and attach the .mx10 file.

Greg
Salad

Post by Salad »

Hello,
I have submitted the request with the first project file that crashed as shown in the video. The conversation ID is 385556.
Some of these projects that are crashing consistently now do not have LABS in the tracks. I am not sure if ultimately the problem is with Kontakt or with something else, but I think the projects started crashing months ago after I obtained more VSTs such as Kontakt. I started with LABS and did not have issue there loading up projects - but I think LABS might have crashed if I had playback active or was clicking around other menus while it was attempting to load up as a VST.

Thank you for your time!
Salad

Post by Salad »

Hello!
Checking in with some updates:
I did notice that some of my plugins has a red ! next to it. I couldn't find anything in the videos and manual documentation but I assume that's not a good thing. Unfortunately the "Recently Crashed" tab in the Plug-in Manager is very out of date for me and not showing VSTs that have the !.
However, looking at my VST list I do see that Opus has the red ! and it's used a lot in the project file I've sent to Support Request.

After disabling it, the project does load. In terms of weirdness - I must have saved the project with the Opus window still open, and I do notice Mixcraft tries to load in your working state including open VST windows. I don't know if that's involved with issues. I do also remember that Opus has prompted me to update when I load into a Mixcraft project with it, which causes Mixcraft to crash and the update to not go through. I had to resolve this in the past by finding the newest download on Eastwest's site.

However the Opus projects seem to be crashing even in an earlier version of the project, and I doubt I had the window open in all of them. I also have other projects with Opus in it that do load in successfully.

Update:
From searching it seems Opus crashing different DAWs is a an issue. A tech support suggestion is to fully delete it off your machine and perform a clean install. Unfortunately, that didn't solve the issue for me. But it sounds like it's probably Opus and not Mixcraft.

Update 2: A forum user suggested forcing Opus to always be opened as administrator. Doing this I obtained a Load Error from Opus while loading up the project about missing instruments. It looks like it worked!

Update 3: Opus is definitely the issue with the project file I uploaded. However, others are still failing even with it disabled, so I will try to narrow down what instruments are crashing on others. I only see the ! Exclamation on Opus (VST3) and Izotope Mastering Essentials that comes bundled with Mixcraft (which I do not use).

Update 4: One of my projects was crashing from a single disabled instance of Kontakt 7 as a multi-instrument. Removing that instance freed the project.

There are a few others that are crashing with Opus, Kontakt, and Spitfire plugins disabled, not sure what caused those but I've "recovered" the files by disabling everything and saving a new version with my plugins gone.