Audio exclusivity settings on Windows 11?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

BeardFaceMan

Audio exclusivity settings on Windows 11?

Post by BeardFaceMan »

I've had a problem since I've started using Mixcraft 10.5 Pro on A Windows 11 PC. I was using 10.5 Pro on Windows 10 with no issues but then I bought a new PC with Windows 11 on it and I have a problem with audio exclusivity. When I start up Mixcraft, it mutes all other audio on my PC. When I close Mixcraft down, the audio is still muted, I have to go into the audio settings of Windows 11 and mess around, I found that turning audio enhancements off or on brings my other audio back. If I do that with Mixcraft still open, all my other audio comes back but now Mixcraft is silent. I'm using the Core Audio (Wave RT) driver and the exclusive mode is unchecked, is there some setting in Windows 11 I am missing? I just can't seem to play audio and have Mixcraft open at the same time, one or the other stops working.
Ray Cube

Re: Audio exclusivity settings on Windows 11?

Post by Ray Cube »

Hi.
Do you have Stereo Mix Enabled in the Windows sound control panel? It is normally turned off by default.
Ray.
Mixcraft 9 Recording Studio.
Mixcraft 10 Pro.
Windows 10 Enterprise.
I9-900K. nvidia 3060 12GB. 64GB ram. 2 Samsung 28" monitors. Axiom Mini Air 32.
Tannoy Reveal speakers plus Tannoy 15" 250 watt sub. N.A.D and Cambridge Audio Amplification.
BeardFaceMan

Post by BeardFaceMan »

I see a setting in System>Sound under 'output' called "Mono audio - combine left and right audio channels into one", which is currently set to off, is that the one you mean?
Passionpasi

Post by Passionpasi »

system-> sound -> more sound settings.

Maybe unchecking exlusive modes will help? playback and recording tabs...

Exlusive mode.png
Exlusive mode.png (85.3 KiB) Viewed 251 times

There can be tricky things with win 11. I have logitech webcam with mic, it worked fine on win 10 but when connected to win 11 it shuts down all audio. I had to disable all its audio settings on device manager to be able to use it.
Last edited by Passionpasi on Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
10.5 Pro 596, Win 11, Focusrite solo 4th gen
Bronzeage

Post by Bronzeage »

Are you using the Focusrite ASIO drivers within Mixcraft.?
Ray Cube

Post by Ray Cube »

Exclusive modes should not be ticked.
Mixcraft 9 Recording Studio.
Mixcraft 10 Pro.
Windows 10 Enterprise.
I9-900K. nvidia 3060 12GB. 64GB ram. 2 Samsung 28" monitors. Axiom Mini Air 32.
Tannoy Reveal speakers plus Tannoy 15" 250 watt sub. N.A.D and Cambridge Audio Amplification.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

If the exclusivity settings don't help, try setting Mixcraft to the same sample rate Windows is using. (Or set Windows to use the same sample rate Mixcraft is using).

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
BeardFaceMan

Post by BeardFaceMan »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:32 am Hi,

If the exclusivity settings don't help, try setting Mixcraft to the same sample rate Windows is using. (Or set Windows to use the same sample rate Mixcraft is using).

Greg
All my exclusive boxes were unticked and it still didn't work, but this did the trick, changed it from 44100 hz to match the 48000 hz I had for the Windows 11 sample rate and now it works fine with audio playing in the background. Thanks for the help everyone!