BYPASS VST NOT WORKING

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Ivan Jochner

BYPASS VST NOT WORKING

Post by Ivan Jochner »

Hi, just tried to check my CPU and RAM load when disabling/bypassing heavy loaded VSTs.
By pressing " Bypass " knob nothing is happening in my task manager performance panel. Its still showing the same load.
Neither " Freeze" no "Mute" are working as supposed to unload VST.

(Both Mixcraft 9 Pro - 10 Studio ).

Cheers.

Can anyone confirm its working in their Daw???
Acoustica Greg

Re: BYPASS VST NOT WORKING

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Which CPU number are you looking at? When you bypass the effect, do you still hear the effect affecting your audio? I mean, put distortion on an effect and then bypass it. The distortion goes away, right?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Ivan Jochner

Post by Ivan Jochner »

Hi Greg,

I mean actually not effects bypass but Vst instrument bypass, in order to unload Ram memory.

For example when Virus Access VST is loaded its taking about 1 gig ram memory. After audiomixdown of this VST i manually switch off the knob in the VST window. But the task manager still shows the same load numbers as if VST is active.

( I checked the same procedure with Cubase 13, when VST track is disabled , Ram goes 1 gig down.)
photo_2024-06-10_21-02-56.jpg
photo_2024-06-10_21-02-56.jpg (150.44 KiB) Viewed 411 times
Attachments
photo_2024-06-10_21-12-39.jpg
photo_2024-06-10_21-12-39.jpg (76.63 KiB) Viewed 411 times
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Mixcraft's bypass isn't designed to remove plugins from memory. It's designed to turn off the plugin output or effect so you can do a comparison between what the track sounds like with the plugin and what it sounds like without the plugin.

If you want to remove it from memory, you could mix the track to a new audio track, then delete the original track.

Greg
Ivan Jochner

Post by Ivan Jochner »

Sadly its not working out that way for me writing full Instrument track then mixing to audio and removing track.

Cause in heavy orchestral project i am not writing from start to finish one section of instruments, and even doing so , having at least 50 tracks of orchestra would kill the Mixcraft .

Anyway, it would be a huge breakthrough for Acoustica to implement this VERY important feature coming from entry level software to pro.

Cheers.
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:45 pm If you want to remove it from memory, you could mix the track to a new audio track, then delete the original track.
I thought freezing the track does exactly that. Then only an audio file is played and no vst is needed anymore.
Ivan Jochner

Post by Ivan Jochner »

Did experiment with freeze , no luck the same load of Ram.

Very strange logic behind all this. The only mute button should be left as a function. No messing with Freeze o Switch off VST.
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

Ivan Jochner wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 4:53 am Did experiment with freeze , no luck the same load of Ram.

Very strange logic behind all this. The only mute button should be left as a function. No messing with Freeze o Switch off VST.
Mute or vst on/off is just a bypass, I think that's right. You can also mute tracks during playback, etc. Nothing can be unloaded or loaded during playback from ram. You get better cpu usage, that's all I think.

But Freeze should do unload the vsts. Otherwise there would be no difference between freeze and bounce to audio track I think. Anyway, sounds strange. So freeze would just be an invisible bounce to audio track which mutes the track. Then why should I use freeze?

I think the main idea behind freeze was exactly that no vst stuff is needed anymore until unfreeze. Maybe it's simply just a bug when freeze is doing the same bypass instead of unload vsts.
Last edited by ppayne on Tue Jun 11, 2024 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ivan Jochner

Post by Ivan Jochner »

You know, i was using Mixcraft a lot, until now i realized that something going wrong. Every single DAW our days has VST track disable function. For me personally it was a shocking revelation....
Mixcraft is very intuitive easy to understand and use.

/ Don't get me wrong , Freeze and Bypass do work for CPU and System within Mixcraft, ( right low corner icons), but does not for Windows RAM.

Acustica PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make this DAW function on full !!!
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion, but we're not thinking of "bypass" as a Windows memory management tool. It's a tool to configure your sound.

The way to remove it from RAM is to right-click to the left of the track and select "Mix To New Audio Clip," then delete the track with the offending plugin.

Greg
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 8:37 am Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion, but we're not thinking of "bypass" as a Windows memory management tool. It's a tool to configure your sound.

The way to remove it from RAM is to right-click to the left of the track and select "Mix To New Audio Clip," then delete the track with the offending plugin.

Greg
Hi Greg,

I understand that bypass (mute) is not an unload. But I thought Freeze track does exactly that and do not load this vsts on project start or unload them within a session etc :mrgreen: Then this is really a feature request.

Is there any advantage of Freeze Track if it does more or less the same thing as "Mix To New Audio Track" (a hidden mix to audio track with mute)?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Yes, freezing tracks avoids the CPU work needed to run the plugins. Instead of having all the plugins on a track needing to access a processor, you're just playing a wav file.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Greg
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I should the advantage of not removing the plugin from RAM when you bypass it is that you don't have to wait for it to load when you stop bypassing it; you can do an A/B test really quickly.

Greg
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:47 am Hi,

Yes, freezing tracks avoids the CPU work needed to run the plugins. Instead of having all the plugins on a track needing to access a processor, you're just playing a wav file.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Greg
Mix To New Audio Track is doing the same or not? I also play only an audio file then. Hmm :?:
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:52 am Hi,

I should the advantage of not removing the plugin from RAM when you bypass it is that you don't have to wait for it to load when you stop bypassing it; you can do an A/B test really quickly.

Greg
That's absolutely clear to me an the right way. It is a bypass and not an unload.