Kryboard issues

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

hrprada

Kryboard issues

Post by hrprada »

This may seem very odd to some of you. But if you spend several hours a day pounding your keyboard, it should be of concern, I think. It's about the type of plastic your MIDI controller keys are made of. Is it vinyl chloride ? Please google "Vinyl chloride linked to cancer" and then voice your opinion. How do you feel about having your fingertips in intimate contact with vinyl chloride keys (if that's what they are) for several hours daily ? Does anyone know of any type of MIDI keyboard brand which is explicitly vinyl chloride-free ?
hrprada
hrprada

Post by hrprada »

It's interesting that nobody has dared to address this issue. I've asked the manufacturer of M-Audio keyboards if their keyboards are made of vinyl chloride but I get only silence. An eBay vendor however did respond saying yes, the keys on the Keystation Pro 88 are conventional vinyl. In other words vinyl is indeed the material of choice for "conventional" keyboards.

On the other hand a question to the Guitat Center about the CME UF70 received this reply: "600 denier ballistic material". So that's not vinyl chloride, is it ?. It stands to reason that since vinyl is cheap, the cheaper keyboards are made of vinyl. But you get what you pay for. I invite you to google "vinyl chloride linked to brain cancer" and see the enourmous amount of information on this issue. It may open your eyes as it did mine ...
hrprada
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I don't really have information to provide about the chemical composition of keyboards or any possible carcinogenic side effects. If you're concerned about it, contacting the manufacturer seems like a good strategy.

I think the main concern would be for those involved in the manufacturing process.

Greg