Basic Recording Help

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

kevbidgood

Basic Recording Help

Post by kevbidgood »

I am a MIXCRAFT newbie, having only used Garageband in the past. Here's my problem.........

I have added an audio track from a WAV file and that track is working just fine.

I am now trying to record a second vocal track using my ZOOM H2 recorder which can serve as a Stereo Mic with a generic USB driver. The ZOOM is properly connected to the pc but is not recording.

I am using an audio track and have ARMed the track. I have picked ZOOM H2 as the input device. I have gone into Preferences and tried both Wave and Wave RT under the sound device tab. The ZOOM H2 is showing as working in Windows Vista. The ZOOM H2 shows that levels are being detected. But on the Mixcraft display there are no levels showing on the track. And when I press the record button nothing happens.

If I use the integrated mic in the laptop then the track records ok (but the volume is rather low)

Appreciate any help that can be provided. Thanks!

I have a new HP laptop running VISTA, and Mixcraft 4.5.

Kevin
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Can any other programs pick up the audio from the Zoom H2 right now?

How is it connected to your computer, via USB?

If you play back already recorded audio on the Zoom H2, can Mixcraft pick that up?

Greg
kevbidgood

Basic Recording Help

Post by kevbidgood »

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your reply.

Can any other programs pick up the audio from the Zoom H2 right now?
I believe so. The sound card can show that levels are being detected if I make the H2 the default recording device.

How is it connected to your computer, via USB? Yes

If you play back already recorded audio on the Zoom H2, can Mixcraft pick that up? Can you tell me how I would do that?

Thanks

Kevin
dejavue56

Post by dejavue56 »

I think the USB interface in the H2 is mostly for transferring files from the SD card. That is you record on the device, then it shows up as a removable drive on your PC where you can copy the recorded data, then you would just load that into mixcraft-not re-record it.

It may have a "live mode" functioning like a USB MIC, I don't know about that. I would think it would do that, but you may have to put the H2 in a special mode. I would be curious to hear how good a mic it is.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Page 73 of the Zoom H2 user manual (PDF) has instructions for using it as an audio interface. You can do it via the USB, but you have to change some settings in the Zoom H2. If it is outputting a line level audio signal to your computer, Mixcraft will be able to record it if you've got that recording source selected.

Greg
kevbidgood

Zoom H2

Post by kevbidgood »

Hi Greg,

Very impressed that you took a look at the manual! So I read through the relevant section in the manual. I did ensure that the input was set to on on the H2 - I think it always was set to on - but I also ensured that the frequency was set to 44.1 khz, which is the same as the setting on WaveRT on the mixcraft preferances pane, and lo and behold all is well! The Zoom sounds good as a mic, + it has other advantages of lo cut filter and AGC settings. It is a very versatile and small device!

Thank you for your help on this! :D
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Okay, great! Thanks for letting me know what finally fixed it.

That Zoom H2 looks like a really cool device.

I think I saw one on "30 Rock" last night, in the hands of a kid reporter.

Greg