How do I change Patches and Banks on an external Midi Device

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

progload

How do I change Patches and Banks on an external Midi Device

Post by progload »

Am I missing somthing? I have an Alesis Nanosynth Midi Module, I can't seem to find any way to change banks and patches on my external midi device (or a patch map editor)? Is this somthing it can do, or am I missing somthing?

Thanks
DrDoog

Post by DrDoog »

I would imagine that you would have to do that on your module, not in Mixcraft. Make sure that you're recording the module's output as an audio track and not an instrument track, because if you're doing it as an instrument track then Mixcraft is not actually using your module's voice.
progload

Post by progload »

DrDoog,

Thank you for your response, I guess I didn't do so good at explaining the problem I am having. My alesis module has 16 midi channels, it also has banks of program patches that are controlled by midi, GM is bank 0, and User bank is 1.. ect. Each bank has 128 "patches" (also known as controllers) or "instuments" that can be controled by midi. In Mixcraft I can select the channel to sent midi out to the device, but I cannot see anywhere how to select the bank (GM or other bank) or the program patch (0-127) that I would like to set the the instument track to. it then should play that particular bank and controller. I hope you can understand what I am asking, as I still have not found a way to do it yet. (This would be a normal feature of a midi sequencer)

Thanks again.
DrDoog

Post by DrDoog »

Let me ask you this: the menu that you see to set the channel... is it the "arm" button? because that is for recording MIDI in, not playing MIDI out. I now understand what you are trying to do, but I do not think that it is possible in Mixcraft.

You are trying to use Mixcraft to sequence your MIDI track, and then have it send the MIDI information to your module, which you would then record (as an audio track, but we can't get to that step yet) in a new mixcraft track?

Admins, if there's any way to do this (using mixcraft, a plugin, or a 3rd party application) then I've actually been trying to figure out how to do it as well. :?