vocals

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

jehrenthal

vocals

Post by jehrenthal »

I was hoping some suggestions for vocal recording could be offered. Right now I have a dynamic mic plugged into an Audio Kontrol asio device. I don't think this qualifies as a preamp based on the results I've heard.
If there is any gear that is widely accepted as necessary I would love to know about it and of course what effects should be applied. To keep it simple lets just discuss the onboard mixcraft supplied effects.
should I just plug into the computer sound card (probably not)? or should I get a preamp? i have a small 4 channel mixer that i could run before the audio kontrol and honestly i have no idea if this even has a preamp. I have a 64bit operating system so hardware upgrades have to be researched. thanks ahead of time for your suggestions
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

What's wrong with your current set-up? Are you not getting a good recording volume level?

Greg
jehrenthal

Post by jehrenthal »

you read me like a drugstore novel. i finally got around to recording vocals and used an old dynamic mic without a preamp and it really stinks. I've been reading forums galore to try to figure out what other similar type musicians do and most of them use mixers w/preamps. I ended up after much consideration buying the snowball usb mic for now as I couldn't get my peavey pv6 mixer to work at all, and don't want to keep buying stuff until I know what it is i want/need.
I was hoping to hear some suggestions as to what to purchase now if anything. I read the hardware forum and see that most of the mixcraft guys don't use mixers except for recording drums and i use drum software anyways so I don't need a mixer. What would be a good mic/preamp combo or is the snowball a good purchase, or should i just be able to use my audio kontrol interface for vocals, or should i spend more time with peavey mixer? Wow I am long winded!
maxer28

Post by maxer28 »

I got this package of Amazon and has worked great for me.

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-PODCAST ... 585&sr=8-2
jehrenthal

Post by jehrenthal »

that behringer looks great but I'm not certain it would work on a 64 bit system, and then I'm debating if i shouldn't spend the extra dough and get the piece that dr. doog suggests here http://www.zzounds.com/item--PRSFSPROJECT. In the meantime I'm going to try plugging in my old mic into the Audio Kontrol which has been fantastic for guitar and bass.
I wish that everyone would kind of update this post http://demon.acoustica.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=1581 and give their favorite non drum interface even if its a mixer and go over their currents effects. I use the Audio Kontrol and guitar rig and amplitube, and assorted drum loops and ezdrummer. I also dabble with fl studio and acid when I can't get a good groove. The only whole in my rig seems to be of course the vocal recording. Also no one ever talks about their monitor speakers for home recording. Do most people used powered or not, I have the studio dock usb monitors which work great as I have no monitoring issues at all. So why ask? Because I want to know if upgrading would make a big difference.