Using Windows 7 RC x64 with Mixcraft

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

c5_convertible

Using Windows 7 RC x64 with Mixcraft

Post by c5_convertible »

Hi,
I have just installed the RC of Windows 7 64-bit.
I know that Windows 7 is not on the system compatibility list of mixcraft 4, but as it is very close to Vista, I thought I'd give it a try.

Installing Mixcraft gives no problems. However, when I start Mixcraft, it starts very slow takes close to 1 minute to start (without even showing the splash - after a minute it shows the splash and starts).
I have tried compatibility mode for vista and xp but that doesn't help either. Running it as administrator doesn't do any better. I have the same problem on another computer running windows 7 32-bit.

Once it is started, it reacts very slow to mouse commands (such as stopping and starting playback). Playback however is good.

My question now is, did anyone else try this? If so, what is your experience?
miken

Post by miken »

I have no experience of Windows 7 but it sounds to me like you are exploring new ground here :)

Windows 7 may be "closely related" to Vista and XP BUT I would imagine that a version of Mixcraft that runs on Vista is unlikely to run under the newr OS without any adverse issues (such as the one you suggest.

In my experience working in Software development, programs can easily be made "backward compatible" i.e. a new release will run on Vista and XP and NT etc (looking backwards) but a new OS is likely to require a new version of the program that conforms with the OS requirements [and we are talking about Microsoft here :D ]

I would imagine that Acoustica would need to develop a version that is truly compatible with the newer OS - I'm sure they would be happy to comment though.
c5_convertible

Post by c5_convertible »

I know, as one of the duties of my work is to do remote deployment of software. We have spent hundreds of hours trying to get xp compatible software to run on vista. With moderate success. Also, I do development of software too (a couple of custom made applications programmed in C#)

The reason I find it a bit puzzling is because I've been running windows 7 (beta and RC) now for the past 6 months on several computers, and aside from the occasional hardware driver that does not function - mostly hardware that doesn't have a vista driver - every software that was developed for vista (and that I installed) seems to run without a problem. I have the impression that the culprit is a function call to one of the system dll's that has been deprecated. I will do some further investigating using the compatibility toolkit.

For my music, I can use FL studio or Samplitude, but I like the easy to use interface of mixcraft. For the time being I can use Garageband on my Imac anyway or use mixcraft on the XP or vista partition.

The reason I was inquiring is more because of trying to find a "kindred spirit" :)

Thanks for the reply anyway!
tonymus

Post by tonymus »

FWIW, I'm running Windows 7RC x64, and I don't see a slowdown at all, it seems to load in a few seconds. I must just have the right hardware, I guess...
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

We're running Mixcraft on Windows 7 RC 32-bit with no problems. What kind of sound device are you using for playback? Does it have Windows 7 64-bit drivers available yet? Check with the manufacturer to make sure you've at least got the latest ones available for Vista.

Greg
c5_convertible

Post by c5_convertible »

Hi,

As I'm waiting for my Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 (should be in this week - I can't wait :), I'm running on the built-in sound card of the motherboard. One the 64-bit machine that is a Realtek HD Audio interface, which is using the Microsoft Driver v 6.1.7100.0.

On my 32-bit machine (which is a HP Laptop), it is the Soundmax Integrated Digital HD Audio, using the Analog Devices driver. I have done an update of that driver, but that didn't change the situation either.

I have just tried on a third machine, an Apple Imac running Windows 7 RC 32-bit using Bootcamp, which also has a realtek HD Audio interface, and the problem is the same.

On the 64-bit machine, when I run Vista X64 - same realtek HD sound card, mixcraft starts immediatly, and response is immediate as well.

I'll do some more testing later today, when my work is finished.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

If you've got a Realtek HD soundcard, try going to Realtek's web page for the updated HD driver.

The performance on our Windows 7 RC machine seems quite fast.

Hopefully your new audio device will have audio drivers that work well with Windows 7, or you may just have to wait until updated drivers are released.

Greg
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

The other thing to try is to go into your Sound Device preferences and try Wave instead of WaveRT.

When you get your new audio interface, you'll probably want to use ASIO.

Greg
c5_convertible

Post by c5_convertible »

I found the problem!
I tried updating the realtek drivers, but that didn't solve this issue. I found it a bit strange that 3 different computers, with different CPU's and different soundcards (apart from the x64 machine and the Imac) had the exact same problem.

So, I tried eliminating everything that was different to each system. That way, I eliminated the VGA driver, the sound card, mouse, keyboard, cpu and external USB/Firewire devices. All to no avail.

Then I examined the software installed on each of them. And I found that there was actually only one software which was installed on all 3. AVG Free 8.5... I created an exclusion and presto! Instant speed.

So, I'm going to install a different virus scanner, which should solve the problem. Probably the virusscanner on-access filter causes problems with Windows 7. I guess this is then the first piece of software that I found that has a problem with Windows 7 !! :)

Anyway, thanks for all your help!
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

That's interesting, because AVG is listed on the list of security providers for Windows 7, but of course, they aren't linking to the free version.

Greg
c5_convertible

Post by c5_convertible »

Yes, they are... As a test, I also tried their full version (a trial nevertheless) but it exhibits the same problem. Now I have installed Panda Antivirus Pro 2009 Beta, which is also for Windows 7, and I have no more problems.
jehrenthal

Post by jehrenthal »

so how is everyone enjoying the new 7 rc 64? i had been running the older 7 64 beta but would run into problems with other software such as some of the plugins etc but mixcraft worked great. thus i ended up going back to vista ultimate 64 but would love to hear if you guys recommend upgrading to the new 7 rc.
miken

Post by miken »

c5_convertible wrote:I found the problem!

Then I examined the software installed on each of them. And I found that there was actually only one software which was installed on all 3. AVG Free 8.5... I created an exclusion and presto! Instant speed.
glad you got to the bottom of things, although its a little perturbing for me as AVG Free is the virus protection software I have installed - that said, I'm running on Vista at the moment and have not experienced any problem whatsoever so perhaps its a peculiarity of software clashing i.e. AVG Free and Windows 7 - worth knowing for future I guess.

thanks for keeping the thread updated with your resolution - its always useful for the rest of the community to be aware of these things.