I'm new here and pulling my hair out.

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

alisonmusic

I'm new here and pulling my hair out.

Post by alisonmusic »

I have read many things here on latency problems, but so far non have solved my problems. I just purchased a new laptop that has vista. My old laptop had XP, and non of these problems were an issue.
I have an edirol UA box that I plug my mics and guitar into. My lap top is an Hp with AMD X2 1.9 Ghz , 3072mb DDR2 ram.
The problem is when I arm a track to record my voice or guitar and press record it snaps pops and cracks, and thus a latency problem. I even downloaded ASIO4All and used the asio functions and even used plain wave RT. I have been playing with these settings for weeks and nothing works. I turned off my internet connection and my anti virus programs, So far no fix.
I'm ready to give up and go back to project 5, but I bought your program because of what I thought was ease of use.
Someone please help. Thank you
alison :(
JustOneOldMan

Post by JustOneOldMan »

I'm sorry alison, I don't really have an answer for you, but I wanted to say I've been using MC on Vista for quite a while and not having any problems with it. ASIO4ALL worked alright, but I prefer WaveRT.

Vista's sound system is different than XP's, but I don't think it's an issue between Mixcraft and Vista. Hope you get it figured out or someone comes along with an answer...
G.Love

Post by G.Love »

I had the same problem on my HP laptop, with the same specs. I tweaked the crap out of vista, until I had it running fast and smooth. But still when recording I would get cracks and pops.

I think what finally solved the problem was the power option on my laptop. Go to : control panel - mobile pc - power options. Change to high performance.

Hope this solves your problem. Cheers, G :)
dejavue56

Post by dejavue56 »

Unfornately these digital audio interfaces can be very finicky. But its more a interface issue than Mixcraft SW.

I recently bought a new firewire card and hooked it up to my Alesis Firewire mixer. Many strange things happen, no sound, pops, seems to work pretty good. Even WIndows Media player had trouble. I tried disabling my onboard sound card, reinstalling my SBLIve 24 card and all I got was it very close to working. But it can't get through a hole song reliably with firewire and all drivers seems to be the latest available.

So I went back to my old setup, using my SPDIF adapter into my Soundblaster 24 (digital audio) from the Alesis mixer and it works rock solid without latency issues. Except I can only record the main stereo mix. But that is OK for me 90% of the time as I overdub.

Vista just seems to add a new dimensions to the problem. I also think in my case, I have a fairly low end PC with the on-board sound card and even when its disabled in the BIOS it still seems to cause issues. I would not buy a new PC with integrated audio.
alisonmusic

Post by alisonmusic »

Thanks everyone for all the help. Most of the suggestions worked for the most part. Thank you.
Graffi

Post by Graffi »

also - try freezing tracks you're not working on. other tracks with effects on them eat up CPU in a hurry.

One thing I've noticed is that sometimes it happens most where other tracks end, whether they're frozen or not -if you can, drag the ending spot of the culprit track out a little, or snip it off some other place if you can.