Netbook / Laptop choice to run Mixcraft 4.5 and 5

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

8bitmusic

Netbook / Laptop choice to run Mixcraft 4.5 and 5

Post by 8bitmusic »

Hi there. I'm wondering on buying a laptop and also mixcraft software as I've tested the demo and enjoyed it.

Can you please tell me which netbooks and notebooks will run Mixcraft ? I'm looking for a low cost computer around $500 or $600, have preference for battery time, as long as it runs mixcraft it's ok.

bye.
Saturn3

Post by Saturn3 »

If you are going to be running vst instruments and recording multiple tracks, I would highly recomend at least a dual-core processor and minimum 2gb of ram for XP and 3gb for vista.
8bitmusic

Post by 8bitmusic »

Hello.
I'd like to know if a netbook like Asus EEEPC 1201N would run accoustica smoothly, as it has a dual atom 1,66Ghz and 2 GB ddr2 ram and also dedicated graphics.

thank you and I'll wait for your replies, bye.
8bitmusic

Post by 8bitmusic »

anyone knows?
thanks.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

It depends on what you want to do. If you are doing really simple stuff, a netbook might be fine, but once you start working with lots of tracks and lots of effects, it would start lagging.

Greg
8bitmusic

Post by 8bitmusic »

Ok, thank you !
regards
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

2 GB of RAM makes Mixcraft happy. 1 GB is a starvation diet. 4 GB and a dual or quad core processor sends Mixcraft over the moon with joy.
attackrabbit

Post by attackrabbit »

I think the choice really depends on what kind of audio interface you want to use. Mixcraft is great , it works on nearly anything. I myself have an hp , running vista 64 , with 8 gig of ram , dual core pentium 2.8 ghz processors. Problem I am having is not with mixcraft , rather my interface. I bought a presonus firestudio , which is supposed to a great middle of the road interface , but of course you can go from a 6 pin firewire port to , a 4 pin firewire port , without problems. So i had to order a firewire express card , because the interface manufacturer only recommends 2 different kinds. It just a mess. So my point is , when thinking about which laptop to buy , consider all points of your workspace , not just the DAW. Cus mixcraft is great , but you have to get all the other components to play nice together. Ie make sure if you have 64 bit os , there are drivers available for your stuff , make sure you have the correct ports to hook up to to your interface , and make sure your chipset is supported.
Faded1634

Post by Faded1634 »

It definitely depends on if you plan on doing small projects or large projects. Small projects implying 8 tracks or less, large projects implying 10 tracks or more. I run 4GB of RAM on Windows 7 64bit with a quad core processor. I never face any issues with Mixcraft. Now, if you feel like you fall into the small project category, then components this high may be pointless but put it this way, the more memory (RAM) you allow Mixcraft to use, the better your day will be =) Just my two cents.

I would not really look into anything much after 4GB of RAM. Your computer can't utilize that much RAM unless it has been custom built/tweaked to do so anyway. I'm not sure what the limit is for Mixcraft on how much RAM it can utilize but I'm deviating from the point now so I'll stop ranting! Haha

Paul
Mixcraft 5 Build 130 User
Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit
4Gb RAM - Intel 3.0 GHz Quad Core Processor
MXL Mic Mate Audio Interface
8bitmusic

Post by 8bitmusic »

thank you for your opinions.
I wanted something like corei3 2gb ram would be fine but with a 13" screen, didn't find anything yet in Portugal, maybe still to come.

thanks.
fender4000

Post by fender4000 »

I was just working on a project that has 29 audio tracks, most have at least one VST effect on them, and five VST global effects.

I'm doing all of this on an HP Pavilion dv6775 Intel Centrino Duo 1.67GHz w/ 3GB RAM running Windows 7 Ultimate.

I have to confess, I'm about at the limit of being able to add new audio to this project; I'll have to start muting or freezing tracks, and/or temporarily disabling those global effects if I do.