Please Pimp My Song!!

Use this forum to show off any audio delights you've created with Mixcraft!

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

shayman

Please Pimp My Song!!

Post by shayman »

Hey all
I just put down my first recording using Mixcraft 5. It's a cover of Boys Of Summer (The Ataris Version), a song I know quite well so I pretty much did all the tracks in one take and it didn't take long to do.

I thought if I could put down a well known song then it may help you understand the style I'm aiming for.

I recorded everyting direct input into my PC soundcard.

I'd really love to get some criticism, advice, tips, tricks as to how I can improve my recording technique, but please don't just say it's 'crap' without saying why!

Would be great to get a discussion for ways to improve the recording as I'd like to make a 3 track demo of my own songs. Here's a link to the song, oh yeah and excuse the blog and goofy picture! :

http://www.songwriting4guitar.com/boys-of-summer

Many many many many many many thanks!!
Shayman
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Ok here is what I hear:

First thing I notice is the fake drums, very robotic sounding.
Being that the drums are from a software sequencer or loops or something like that, they are more processed than the rest of the recording, so there's a huge difference in production between drums and the rest.

Your lead vocal is about 85% in my left ear, you should center it.

The vocals are muddy and burried. Sharpen them up and it will pull them above the mix. Use some compression as well to pull them into the song rather than sounding separate.

Have a look at the videos here http://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/v5/he ... o-tips.htm

You seem to be able to play and sing very well, so I think a great recording for you is simply a matter of getting some experience with Mixcraft, nice job!
shayman

Post by shayman »

Thanks for your quick reply and the compliment about my playing Eric..I've seen your tutorials and they're great! so it's much appreciated.

Can I just ask about compression on the vocals. I'm NEVER happy with the vocal sound and I suppose that's why I've tried to hide it away slightly.

Do you think I'll be able to add a compression filter to this mix at this stage or is it a redo of the vocal through an external compression unit?

Thanks for your time.
Shayman
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

You should be able to add the classic compressor on a vocal preset and get decent smoothness out of it. One of the other major issues I hear with it is the eq-ing. Take lows out of the vocal with the acoustica eq, it is demo'd in that how to video for vocals.
shayman

Post by shayman »

OK, will give it a go:)
Jaymzzb

Post by Jaymzzb »

Hi,

The first thing I also noticed was the vocal in the left speaker. Definately should be centred.
Overall the instruments sound pretty good especially for your first recording.
I agree with Eric on the drums sounding too electronic, How do you get your drum sound?
Did you say you recorded to a backing track?
shayman

Post by shayman »

Hi Jaymzzb
Cheers for getting involved :)

I must say, I'm very impressed with the shred amp simulator and very happy with the guitar sound. Amazing really to say I just played it in clean!

As for the vocals, do I just need to pan them then? The slider is 'centered' but when I listen on my headphone I can now hear what you mean. I'm not really sure why they haven't centered in the first place? Any ideas?

I created the backing track in Fruity Loops. It's a sort of long story but I gig in a duo and we use these as our backing tracks as MP3's on a laptop, but again I would love to hear some tips for maybe getting a more realist drum and bass sound if you have any.

Thanks again
Shayman
Jaymzzb

Post by Jaymzzb »

Do you just gig cover songs or your own material?
if its cover songs the way i'd do it is -

I'd download a program called guitar pro (www.guitar-pro.com) which is basically a program to learn guitar parts for songs BUT they usually have all guitars,bass and drums on there. So you can solo the guitars and then import the drum and bass midi tracks into Mixcraft.

Once you have Guitar pro all you do is google which song you want to do (i.e Boys of summer guitar pro) and then it opens up in guitar pro, solo the guitar tracks. Export midi files. Drag the saved file across into Mixcraft and then you can edit the bass and drums sound as much as you'd like and then record your guitars and vocals.

As for the vocals panned left, I'll leave that to Eric!

Hope this helps a little.
shayman

Post by shayman »

Sounds cool. I'll certainly check that out.

I've made a few tweaks to the mix now. I think it sounds much better but have listened to too long so would you mind having another listen?

I've added more compression to the vocal and centered it (I think)but also messed with the EQ to try and bring it out a bit more.

same link:
http://www.songwriting4guitar.com/mp3/b ... summer.mp3

Many thanks
Raidx

Post by Raidx »

Its alot better!!

good job
aj113

Post by aj113 »

I've only heard it since you changed it - i.e. today

The most obvious improvement you can make is to the vocals. Next time you record, compress to tape. er....disk lol.

If you dont want to record the vocal again, get some major compression on it - I use Sony's Wave Hammer. But first - sort out the pitching. Auto-tune may be worth a try but a far more effective method is to pitch-shift each note. Time consuming buy effective.

Vocals atre the most important part of any recording - get those right and the listener will forgive you most other aberrations. Right now your vocal isn't cutting it - although it sounds as though you have the potential.
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Is it possible to download this project so I can have a crack at mixing it?
No biggie if I can't.
Windows 7 64-Bit
MC 5.2 Build 152