Recording weak on right channel

Support and feedback for Spin It Again.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan

bgrass1

Recording weak on right channel

Post by bgrass1 »

When I record, the right channel volume is weak and muffled during playback.
I'm using Windows 7. Does anyone have a solution?

i
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

That sounds like a cassette tape issue, it's common with cassettes where the little felt thing has moved or is gone.
bgrass1

Post by bgrass1 »

It's not a tape issue. It does it with LPs and tapes. The left channel is clear but the right channel is not. I even switched my RCA cables around but still does not make a difference at all. I'm using an Ion Record2PC with a Pioneer turntable hooked to my laptop.
Don Hall

Post by Don Hall »

Hi
It would be an equipment problem, not a SIA problem.
The Quick easy test is to Switch your Red and [Black or White] cables [at the closest point to the Computer] and see if the other channel now has the low volume.
Make sure that all plugs are snug, particularly at the computer input.

I just trashed an amp that someone asked me to see what was wrong with it.
They do die.

Don
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Yes it could also be the input jack on the computers sound card, unless you are connecting via usb, then it might be a hardware issue as Don mentioned.
bgrass1

Post by bgrass1 »

I did a test using the EZ Vinyl Tape Converter. Same problem there. Right channel was weak. Could I have a defective sound card? Not very happy at this point.
bgrass1

Post by bgrass1 »

So there's no way to fix this???
Don Hall

Post by Don Hall »

Hi Again

The sound cards for prebuilt computers cost between $5 and $8. They are OK if you don't do gaming or music. Treat yourself, as many of us have also done so, to a good quality sound card, if that is your problem.

Don
bgrass1

Post by bgrass1 »

I read somewhere that Toshiba laptops have their sound card embedded in the motherboard. If that's the case, I'm SOL. I heard an LP that I recorded using a Ion USB turntable and EZ Vinyl Tape Converter. Both left and right channels came out fine. But when I use the Ion Record2PC USB adapter with my Pioneer turntable or my tape deck as I mentioned in previous post, the right channel is weaker and muffled. Also have two Alesis Phono Link USB adapters exactly like the Ion that I had the same problem with. Adapter problem or PC related problem? HELP!!!
Don Hall

Post by Don Hall »

Hi
It now sounds like a cable problem. Get some new good quality cables.
Don
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

bgrass1

Post by bgrass1 »

I can get left and right channel. The right channel for some reason is weaker. I ordered a different device and will try that when I get it.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

It wouldn't hurt to check that setting just to verify that you are set for 2-channel recording.
bgrass1 wrote:I can get left and right channel. The right channel for some reason is weaker. I ordered a different device and will try that when I get it.
bgrass1

Post by bgrass1 »

Yes I do have it in 2 channel mode. You would think Windows would have it where there was a balance control or individual volume control for recording but they don't, but they have a balance control for playback. Go figure.
bgrass1

Post by bgrass1 »

Well I bought an Ion U Record USB recorder and tried it. Guess what? Same nagging problem. Right channel still weak. I've done spent about $140 in usb devices and now at my wits end.