Recording weak on right channel

Support and feedback for Spin It Again.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan

Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Play back the recording on multiple computers/cd players to see if the playback is the same on all of them.
It seems like you have eliminated the possibility that the input on your computer is the issue, since you bypassed it by using a USB device (by the way, all laptop sound cards are integrated into the motherboard, you can't replace them).
Since the usb device also shows the same issues, it seems like a windows/software issue. Make sure to install all critical windows updates, particularly service packs and particularly if you have windows vista.
Do a google search for your computer make and model with recording issues, there may be a common fix people have discussed before.
Lastly, use a different computer for recording; Preferably a desktop pc, they just work better for this type of thing and you can put in a nice sound card if you so choose although the integrated ones normally work just fine.
Don Hall

Post by Don Hall »

Hi
Eric has given you good advise; a XP desktop PC works well with extra memory.
However, if you want to keep trying to use your laptop, I believe that I have a fix for it.
1. Return your USB Turnatable and tell them it is faulty. There is no way that you can use it with your laptop.
2. Scour your local thrift shops [SPCA and Sally Ann are big here] for a cube style stereo; i.e. 14x14x10. It will have an equalizer. There will be a "Balance" slide to the right of the EQ and a "Tape Out" on the back. The one I now use
was tagged $60, I paid $35, after haggling.
3. The hookup will be; A) your good turntable with a good stylus and Pickup to the Stereo; B) Good RCA's from the Stereo "Tape Out" to the USB CODEC; C) Codec to computer port.
You will be able to set the stereo "Balance" control while using the SIA Volume control to get a good Balance on your sound. The one tricky thing on the CUBE Stereos is the volume control, Some have a spring back feature.
If the bad channel sound is still fuzzy, and SIA can't fix it, then you really are toast and Eric's solution is all there is.
Good Luck
Don
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

So basically use the balance on the hardware to make the right side louder than the left, which will make them even when recorded.
electra225

Post by electra225 »

Brian.....Have you verified that your stereo equipment is working okay when not trying to record? I use a 40 year old receiver that likes to develop the occasional bad connection in the switching and it causes noise/weak/dead channel(s). It might eliminate frustration to check this first. Good luck........GREG
oriventura

Post by oriventura »

I had the same problem!!

The solution turned out the be very simple.
My soundcard has 4 inputs, but since I plug my guitar only to one input, in mixcraft, where you choose were to record from", I noticed if I choose "Stereo", one channel sound very weak, but if I choose "Left channel", it sounds as it should!
I guess if you choose stereo, it tries to record from both inputs in the soundcard, or something like that.
Anyway, try to choose only left or right channel, in the small arrow near the "arm" and see if it works for you.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

oriventura wrote:I had the same problem!!

The solution turned out the be very simple.
My soundcard has 4 inputs, but since I plug my guitar only to one input, in mixcraft, where you choose were to record from", I noticed if I choose "Stereo", one channel sound very weak, but if I choose "Left channel", it sounds as it should!
I guess if you choose stereo, it tries to record from both inputs in the soundcard, or something like that.
Anyway, try to choose only left or right channel, in the small arrow near the "arm" and see if it works for you.
That's not an option in Spin It Again. Spin It Again always tries to record both channels.
oriventura

Post by oriventura »

Sorry, only after I wrote, I noticed you wern't talking on mixcraft.
bgrass1

Post by bgrass1 »

OK guys, here's the deal now. I'm using a Ion USB Recorder hooked to my Toshiba laptop. This past week I recorded some cassettes and both left and right channels came out fine. But when I try to record off of my Pioneer turntable the right channel is weak. I even replaced the cartridge with a new one. Still had the same problem. I also borrowed a Pioneer turntable from my brother and tried it. Same problem. At this point I have no clue what is going on.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Maybe a mono audio cable? Or a stereo audio cable that isn't working properly? How were the Pioneer turntables hooked up?

Greg
bgrass1

Post by bgrass1 »

Hi Greg.The left and right channel cables are plugged into the usb recorder. Worked fine with my tape deck but not with the two turntables that I tried. As this point, I'd rule out the cables and the cartridge.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I was just thinking that since you had the problem with two different turntables, it could be a cable problem. Does the Ion sound recorder bypass the cables you're using for the turntables?

Greg
bgrass1

Post by bgrass1 »

The cables plug directly to the usb recorder. The usb recorder is plugged to a usb port on the laptop. I also have three other usb adapters that I tried and had the same problem. Using two different turntables and having the same problem indicates to me that it's not the cables on the turntables. As I said in a previous message, my tape deck worked fine on both channels but not the turntables.
electra225

Post by electra225 »

try running the turntable(s) thru an amplifier or receiver. The soundcard on your laptop may not be able to "communicate" with the turntable. The turntable likely has a magnetic cartridge that has a very low output. Hope this helps....GREG
bgrass1

Post by bgrass1 »

Hi Greg. I don't have a amp or receiver to hook a turntable to. How about a phono preamp? Maybe hooking one up between the turntable and the usb device?
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Yes you can try that, my usb turntable (when I use the rca jacks instead of usb) needs to be preamped.