Output to FLAC instead of MP3?

Support and feedback for Spin It Again.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan

TheLastMan

Output to FLAC instead of MP3?

Post by TheLastMan »

Any chance you will be updating to allow file output formats other than WAV and MP3?

FLAC output would be ideal as it is an open souce, taggable and lossless codec used extensively in the digital audio community.

It is a long time since Spin It Again was updated and you now have competitors whose software has overtaken you on codec support.
------
Matt
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

We don't have any plans for FLAC support in the immediate future, but thank you for the suggestion!

For product update news, click "Like" on Mixcraft's Facebook page or sign up for the Acoustica Newsletter.

Greg
vmiller007

Re: Output to FLAC instead of MP3?

Post by vmiller007 »

The Track splitting feature is great. Online auto track name lookup is also great. Sound after cleanup process on vinyl is very good. Trouble is I don't name my files with track numbers and I use Media Monkey to track a library of literally thousands of FLAC files. WAV sounds fine but it's tagability is very poor.Bottom Line:This is impressive software, but it desperately needs a taggable loseless output format. Send me an e-mail when you guys get FLAC (which you will, eventually) and I will buy it. 8)
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

We don't have any plans to add FLAC support in the immediate future, but thanks for the suggestion!

For product update news, click "Like" on Mixcraft's Facebook page or sign up for the Acoustica Newsletter.

Greg
leblancj

Post by leblancj »

I fully agree with the other posters here. Lack of FLAC support is the major limitation in an otherwise fine product. I'm now actively searching for an alternative since Spin-it-Again lacks flac support.

I no longer rip LPs or CDs to mp3; one can hear the difference on a fine stereo system. Hard disk space is cheap now and only need mp3 for export to portable device. Please add FLac support.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

The thing that makes Spin It Again so good is its pop & click and noise removal. If you switch to another product, you'll be missing out. If disc space isn't a concern, you could just create wave files. And of course, you can always create wave files and then convert them to FLAC using a converter utility.

That said, we've got this feature logged as a possible enhancement. Thanks for your feedback.

Greg
leblancj

Post by leblancj »

Yes that's true. However, I've been looking at alternatives and came across Vinyl Studio. It's under active development, exports to FLAC (much easier than trying to convert WAV + tags using an external utility) and also has noise removal.

I hate to buy another product but given the lack of development on Spin it Again since 2009, I suspect it will be months to years before one sees enhancements such as FLAC export.

Regards, John LeBlanc
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

Post by Acoustica Eric »

I have tried the product you mentioned, it was less than impressive, but might be better now, that was a couple years ago.
I have also yet to come across noise removal that works as well as Spin It Again.

May I ask why you want flac file type support so much? As Greg mentioned, wave is uncompressed and of the highest quality possible, why don't you just export to wave?
leblancj

Post by leblancj »

It's mainly for convenience. Much easier to manage tags in flac than in wav. Playing flac files on PCs or smartphones is very similar to playing mp3 files. Not so for wav files where one doesn't have the ability manage genres, artists, albums etc.

The other advantage is that there is some lossless compression with flac so it's a little easier on hard drive space and limited portable device storage.

Haven't had a chance to test the other product yet & I'd prefer to stick with Spin-it-Again. It would be great if you offered flac support.

btw, more and more websites like https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php are appearing. They offer flac.

Finally, from my point of view, it's a lot of work to make a good digital copy of an analog source like an LP. I don't want to diminish that hard work for the sake of a few megabytes of space.
aiiee

Post by aiiee »

leblancj wrote:It's mainly for convenience. Much easier to manage tags in flac than in wav.
Use dbPowerAmp Converter. Done.
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Or any one of the thousands of audio file type converts available all over the net for free or cheap.
leblancj

Post by leblancj »

Acoustica Eric wrote:Or any one of the thousands of audio file type converts available all over the net for free or cheap.

why should i have to go through an extra software step when life is so busy?

I've already switched to Vinyl Studio. If I'm going to pay for software, I'd rather have something that is under active development and provides export to all popular lossless formats and not to one that is useful for editing but not cumbersome for playback as already outlined.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Thanks for trying Spin It Again!

Greg
leblancj

Post by leblancj »

You're welcome. I actually did buy a licence a few years ago and used it until this fall when I switched to Vinyl Studio.
BlakesHeaven

Post by BlakesHeaven »

Hi Greg,
Please add me to the list of people waiting for output to FLAC before any purchase will be considered.
I looked at spin it again a couple of years ago and though surely FLAC must be added soon.
Quite disappointed it is not because I hear good things about it. :(
Is there any chance of it being added - at all :?:

Thanks,
David B
Thanks,

David Blake