USB adapter not recognized as recording source

Support and feedback for Spin It Again.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan

Knife

USB adapter not recognized as recording source

Post by Knife »

I'm trying the trial version of Spin It Again v2.5 b46 on a Windows 7 64bit system. My phono amp doesn't have a line out output, so I'm using the phones jack. When I first tried the program using the output from the amp's phone jack to the sound card's line-in port, I'm getting steady background hum. My second attempt I connected the speakers output from the amp to the sound card's line-in and had the same noise. To attempt to fix this I tried using a SIIG analog to usb converter. The problem is the SIA program only shows "Default Wave Device" as a choice in the recording device block of the audio settings window. Windows 7 Device Manager does show the USB converter in the Sound, video and game controller tree. It also shows two High Definition Audio Devices installed correctly. The USB device is labeled "Trident Analog Video".

So my questions are:

1. Any idea why my USB converter is recognized by Windows but not by SIA? The converter is working, as I have been using it to record VHS tapes from my VCR.

2. Given the choice of using the phones jack or the RCA speaker output (8 ohm), which output should work better?

After reviewing this forum, I will try isolating the ground on my computer to get rid of the background hum, but would still like to use my USB converter as the recording source.
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Hi, thanks for trying SIA :-)
1st I want to say please do not use speakers outputs to record with. They are powered and will ruin your sound card.
You can use the headphone jack, just keep it below 25% volume level. It is also powered and if turned way up will also ruin the sound card.
The hum you are hearing is probably due to the cable you are using not being well shielded. Also try moving to stereo away from the computer.

As far as the USB device not showing up; If windows see's it, then SIA will also see it. Since this is not the case, try going into the program settings and see if you can set the usb device as the recording device there.
nebraska

Post by nebraska »

My computer has a place for a usb connection - internally it is not there. What kind of connection can I get? The internal connection has 16 pins ( double rows). This is a computer my husband bought for $20.00. I need to find out what kind of connection I need to get so I can have an external usb connection.
Last edited by nebraska on Mon May 16, 2011 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don Hall

Post by Don Hall »

Hi
To get rid of the hum you might need only to turn over the turntables electric plug; if it is plugged into the same plug bar as your computer and has two equal sized plugs.

Don
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Since you said you bought the computer for $20, I have a couple questions.
1. What version of Windows is it running?
2. Are the USB ports version 2.0 or 1.0?