Room ambiance in Beatcraft

Post any tips and tricks you've discovered for using Acoustica software here.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

dhiser21

Room ambiance in Beatcraft

Post by dhiser21 »

I use MixCraft and BeatCraft all the time.

The problem I always had was getting any room ambiance so the drums sound more natural so here is what I do.

I know a great drummer with lousy drums ($$$$ thing) So we record his drums on a single mic to get them down. Then we convert them to BeatCraft. We save the files individually and them move them to MixCraft. Now we can control each drum from there individually. That is tip #1.

Tip #2 is as follows:
The trick we use is we pan the drums as you normally would hear a drum set. We them set up a mic on the right hand side of the room and play the drum track thru the monitors. Next we set a mic on the left hand side of the room and record the drums from the monitors again (you could do both at the same time but it is a mic issue with us).

Now when you play the drum tracks you can add a little of each of the "overhead room ambiance mics" that you just recorded and you get a much more natural sounding drums also. Don't add a lot, just enough to what you would hear if you were using overhead mics.

Hope this helps someone.