Mixcraft 6 Feature Requests

This forum is for use by the beta testing team. Team members can use it to discuss testing issues and help squash those elusive bugs.

NOTE: this forum is for beta software only. This is not a support forum for released software.

Moderator: Acoustica Eric

Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

A much needed feature for me would be having the ability to render a wav track from midi on the fly. Most other DAWs do it and is a must to keep system resources down even if you have a workhorse for a computer. The mute track, solo track, export to wav one track at a time, reload back into the system... is stone age :?
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

Gonzo wrote:A much needed feature for me would be having the ability to render a wav track from midi on the fly. Most other DAWs do it and is a must to keep system resources down even if you have a workhorse for a computer. The mute track, solo track, export to wav one track at a time, reload back into the system... is stone age :?
This^ happens whenever you right click on a midi (or audio) track and click Freeze track. (Ctrl+F does the same thing)

The track is rendered to a wav, and exported to the recordings folder.
However, unless you make a copy of the wav, it will be erased when the track is unfrozen.

Other than that, I have no idea what you're talking about
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

Shatley707 wrote:This happens whenever you right click on a midi (or audio) track and click Freeze track. (Ctrl+F does the same thing) The track is rendered to a wav, and exported to the recordings folder.
Response:
I am aware of 'Freeze Track' in Mixcraft. Unfortunately with this feature the audio file goes into a folder which conains other audio files which may have been edited or worked on in the project. They don't have identifiable names in that folder either. If one has the time and patience to sort thru them all and listen to see which one it is, I guess it could be done this way. By this time, it would be easier then to ...mute tracks solo one ...yada yada yada.
Shatley707 wrote:Other than that, I have no idea what you're talking about
Response:
Ok, let me give you an example. In Presonus Studio One, if you right click on a midi file, a drop menu appears. One of the options listed is 'Bounce to audio' - If selected, an audio track of the same midi track is rendered below it. At this point, if I have nothing further to edit in my midi track, I would rather have an audio track than the midi one with all its messages etc. :wink:
rashflash

amp designer

Post by rashflash »

i would love it if mixcratft 6 had something similar to logic pro 9's amp designer.

having amp pre sets etc would be great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpfp4ObUu2g
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

Gonzo wrote:
Shatley707 wrote:This happens whenever you right click on a midi (or audio) track and click Freeze track. (Ctrl+F does the same thing) The track is rendered to a wav, and exported to the recordings folder.
Response:
I am aware of 'Freeze Track' in Mixcraft. Unfortunately with this feature the audio file goes into a folder which conains other audio files which may have been edited or worked on in the project. They don't have identifiable names in that folder either. If one has the time and patience to sort thru them all and listen to see which one it is, I guess it could be done this way.
The file name code is pretty simple:
freeze-track-<date>-<freezeID (these are made in order of frozen- so if a piano track is frozen first, then it would have a lower ID than a track frozen afterward)>

These tracks are deleted upon un-freezing, so if there is one you want to keep, then copy and rename.

Another idea to finding it is to sort the folder by date modified. Should make it a LOT easier than trial and error, is-this-it-oh-no-it's-not-my-bad-try-again searching.
Gonzo wrote: Ok, let me give you an example. In Presonus Studio One, if you right click on a midi file, a drop menu appears. One of the options listed is 'Bounce to audio' - If selected, an audio track of the same midi track is rendered below it. At this point, if I have nothing further to edit in my midi track, I would rather have an audio track than the midi one with all its messages etc. :wink:
Yeah, but it makes a nifty last-minute safety catch say if you have a 20-some minute long MIDI track, render to audio, delete MIDI, then a week later, realize you screwed up big time with the midi, and have to do it all over again.

That, and the freeze track just looks cool 8)
Last edited by Anorax on Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anorax

Re: amp designer

Post by Anorax »

rashflash wrote:i would love it if mixcratft 6 had something similar to logic pro 9's amp designer.

having amp pre sets etc would be great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpfp4ObUu2g
Not sure I follow, and don't have time to watch the youtube vid.

Anyway, the Amp sim that is there, you can go to http://www.acmebargig.com and download Shred 1.6, which is ver 1.6 of the Shred Amp Simulator that ships with Acoustica (Acoustica Version is 1.1). It's free, unless you buy the Shred 2.0 (25 heads for $25).

Not a bad deal. And it means that Acoustica doesn't have to try and program their own cabinets, pickups, amps, etc for this...
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

More control over the MIDI automation panel of the MIDI Sound Edit page...

I'm thinking of being able to select and edit a certain CC MIDI control, even if you don't have a MIDI device with that certain type of MIDI input.

i.e. I want to edit the cutoff of a filter, and for some reason the developer forgot to make this control automatable via parameter automation, but it can still be editable via MIDI

However, I already have other non-parameter controls hooked up to the default Mixcraft CC automation. I have no external MIDI device that can use other ports. In this case being able to select a larger variety of CC controls would be nice.
markcasq

Post by markcasq »

I would like to have bus tracks, where I can send multiple tracks (like drums, choir or multi-mic guitar) into separate bus tracks where I can control overall effects, EQ and volume from there. The current send track is useful only for parallel effects.

And yes, the ability to save separate WAV tracks in one go would be good (with an option to either or both create an effected or un-effected WAV track). This will make it faster for me to send my instrument mix to the sound engineer.

Maybe an automatic count-in track would be useful as well.

Another feature I believe will be useful is EQ automation. Currently, I either create a separate track for parts where I would change EQ, because if I use automation, I would have to automate multiple frequencies and I might lose track. Maybe it will be useful where the EQ interface can be changed at any point in time within the track. Actually, any plug-in effect would be useful too. (for example I use amplitube, I'd like chorus only to be in effect during the verse. Instead of me creating a separate chorus track, I will just use effect automation without manually figuring out the different parameters of the effect from the automation list).

I guess in summary, if I can click and adjust plug-in parameters (using the plug-in's GUI) at any point in the track (and automations will be automatically created), that will be a convenient feature. I won't have to adjust automation parameters one by one.

Please also do not change the GUI of mixcraft - it is the only reason why I stick to it - because it is easy to use. The DAWs nowadays are very complicated.
markcasq

Post by markcasq »

Ah, and an audio file cleanup utility tool, where I can point to the directory where all my mixcraft files and audio files are stored and it will clean up everything.
chibear

Post by chibear »

Using Mixcraft 5 Pro for a month now and it is great
For 6:

1.I would add my vote for better sheet music capabilities.

2. The ability to add small text fields to the track displays, specifically so I can add chord names to sections (like D7, a, g13 etc,)

3. Add my vote for more Acoustica effects, especially to include an Arpeggiator and Sequencer. A simple example woud be so I can take orchestra harp and add arpeggiator. The same with Sequencer.
Jacad79

Post by Jacad79 »

thanks Acoustica, for a wicked awesome product! for Mixcraft 6 I would like to see:

64-bit support - I would like to be able to use all of my RAM, especially more so now since I just purchased Eastwest Quantum Leap samples for my film scoring projects.

more notation capabilities - it would be nice to be able to add dynamic markers, accents, key signatures, etc. to my sheet music. PDF conversion would be pretty sweet, too. =)

MIDI out - I'm sure that I'm not the first person to touch this issue haha

surround sound - I do a lot of sound design/sound editing for film/video projects, and would love to do a more theatrical audio mix.

wave editor - I think others have mentioned this issue as well.
Acoustica Dan
Site Admin

Post by Acoustica Dan »

Jacad,

Mixcraft has always supported MIDI Out, since version 4. MIDI Out devices are located in the "<External MIDI Devices>" category (just under <VSTi Instruments>) in the Instrument dialog.

Thanks,
Dan
Jacad79

Post by Jacad79 »

err I used the wrong term for that, my bad. I meant to mention a different function. for example: I would love to be able to use one instance of the Play sampler on multiple MIDI tracks, instead of having to use one for each track.
Acoustica Dan
Site Admin

Post by Acoustica Dan »

Ah, thanks for clarifying. Yes, that's absolutely a part of Mixcraft 6!

Dan
Jacad79

Post by Jacad79 »

awesome, thanks! that'll definitely help my scoring projects go by a lot smoother! ^_^