I love this program! . [pitchshift Q?]

Discuss the easiest dj mixing software on the planet. :) Well, we think it is..so there. :)

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric

DR

I love this program! . [pitchshift Q?]

Post by DR »

First of all let me say wow!.. ur the first to pull of this idea .. well done! .. . [and i've been looking for along time] . . I have many simple suggestions on how to improve/market this software ...and questions such as do you want to license it .. how much $$$ haha .. joking .. .. ;] .. .

but! . . for now there is once feature u *must* implement ASAP . .as far as i can tell the songs are time stretch/pitchshifted [using algorithim] rather than purely pitching the songs up/down to bpm match each other like a dj would working with real turntables..

2 benefits .. sometimes songs sound better properly pitched up / down

2: .. timestretch/pitchshift algorithims muddy the sound somewhat ..

can u fix ASAP! . .
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I'm not sure what you mean by "purely pitching up or down." We think the beatmatching sounds pretty good the way it is. I'm not sure how you'd change anything without the use of an algorithm.

Greg
DR

Post by DR »

sorry .. what i mean is when beatmatching on real turntables the bpm is raised/lowered and the pitch rises accordingly...

on djtwistburn when the bpm is raised the pitch is left in the same key through timestretching algorithm

[unless if harmonic mixing is on then is will alter pitch by few semitones]

i mean it should react just like any other dj program [traktor etc] ...

at the moment your program acts like traktor dj studio with its keylock mode on ... you hit the keylock button and move the bpm up and [via timestretching algorithm], the key stays the same the bpm rises.

what i want is "normal mode" "keylock off" .. so when you raise bpm, pitch rises accordingly.. ie. if u had a real record on turntable and you increased the rpm alot the voices would sound like chipmunks... no timestretching/pitchshifting trickery..! .. at the moment when i raise bpm in djtwistburn alot, the voices do not sound like chipmunks, they are in same pitch as original bpm.

this is good for some music .. but when mixing techno/dance music the bpms are quite similar so you want the songs to pitch up/down normally.

this should be easy to implement!

hope were on same page now :]

ps. another reason this would be good is because i dj and sometimes would like to work on mixes using only djtwistandburn but in its current state with pitchshifting/timestretching i can't get an accurate impression of what the mix will sound like when i play it on real dj equipment.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Most people want to preserve the pitch to avoid those annoying chipmunk voices you get when you speed sounds up, and to avoid having female vocalists sound like baritones when you slow songs down.

However, if you don't want to preserve the pitch, you can turn that off in the mixing settings. Click on a song, then click the Mixer icon to the right of the song list. There's a "Preserve Pitch" option to the immediate right of the tempo setting.

Greg
DR

Post by DR »

ohh of course . .! :] .. a visable global setting would be cool aswell ..

thanks.. keep it up :]
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

When this came out, I thought it was amazing that the software could change the timing but preserve the pitch. I also think it is amazing that the pitch can be changed without changing the timing.
tekhedd

Re: re

Post by tekhedd »

Acoustica Eric wrote:When this came out, I thought it was amazing that the software could change the timing but preserve the pitch. I also think it is amazing that the pitch can be changed without changing the timing.
I am now hopelessly hooked on the "harmonic mixing" feature. :)