Virtual instrument question

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

abkarch

Virtual instrument question

Post by abkarch »

Trying to learn my way around the names and what they sound like. Can anyone name a drum that sounds like the one at 0:47 in this vid? Its sort of a deeper, echoing snare drum. You can barely hear it in the vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7UlyNLREsI
thanks.
also, what is most similar to the main instrument after he kicks open his cyrotube thing? sounds closer to a high note on an orchestra instrument?
Jellycrackers

Post by Jellycrackers »

As a fellow Halo fanatic, I feel inclined to do my best to answer your question. To me, the drum sounds more like a kick drum/bass drum. Perhaps a kick drum with a snare lightly layed on top of it and plenty of reverb.

The instruments I hear when he kicks open the tube:
That drum
Orchestral Chimes/tubular bells right when he kicks it.
Some sort of low brass, nasty sounding like really low trombones
Violins playing the same pattern that the piano did in the beginning.
Sounds like the rest is synthesizers playing fast ostinato patterns, and maybe a mix of choir and other strings playing the background chords. It's a little hard to say on the choirs.

Hope that helps.
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

You'll get the deep drumming effect by using a kick drum and putting it through an equalizer VST to filter out the treble content. The other drum sound could well be severely compressed timpani - also possibly EQ'd.
abkarch

Post by abkarch »

thanks. one more question.
what is a type of bass i can have playing constantly (it doesnt fade out).Like during the piano at the beginning, theres a deep constant bass playing.

if your wondering, Im trying to have my own go at haloish music, and i liked just about everything about this song...so yea...
Jellycrackers

Post by Jellycrackers »

It's some kind of synth pad. Just look through the "pads" section of Mixcraft's instruments and play really low notes on them until you find something you like.
abkarch

Post by abkarch »

Thanks. Would you say there is some kind of effect on the violins? For some reason they dont really sound right to me when i make them. The drum and stuff is all awesome (:D)
thanks for the help guys!
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

Why don't you just try experimenting with over the top instruments and effects, etc. rather than trying to copy someone else? That's how people become famous for developing their own 'sound'.
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

Thanks. Would you say there is some kind of effect on the violins? For some reason they dont really sound right to me when i make them.
It sounds to me like Hollywood-style strings layered with some horns. If you want to study music, I suggest finding music videos that aren't full of audio effects and dialogue.

Why don't you just try experimenting with over the top instruments and effects, etc. rather than trying to copy someone else? That's how people become famous for developing their own 'sound'.
Most of the "famous" people who have their own sound have started out copying/imitating the ideas of others. You could spend an eternity goofing around with a single instrument, much less knowing everything else enough to create truly original content.

MIDI composition has an underlying structure worth knowing if you want to do it on an expert level, just like composition, music, and math would. Imitating and understanding the area between synthetic and realistic sound is an important asset these days.
abkarch

Post by abkarch »

Is there a way to make a single VI note to gradually go higher without making like 50 notes and making them gradually higher