record soloist and play backing track

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

CompuDisc

record soloist and play backing track

Post by CompuDisc »

Hi.. What I'm trying to do is record a soloist playing an instrument, in this case a harmonica, with a backing track. I've opened the backing track from it's file on my computer into the first sound track. The sound will come through the mixer. My mike is a Shure SM57 plugged into a Yamaha MG16 board. My speakers are off. I have earphones to listen from both the amp and mixer. Now I want to record the backing track onto a new sound track and record the soloist on another track. He'll be able to hear the backing track with the phones. When it's done I want to be able to edit the sound level of the newly recorded backing track and the level of the soloist. Once they are set the file can be saved as an MP3 to go onto a CD. I'm lost in trying to get all of this to work. How do the different tracks get armed? One track has to record from a track already up. The second from a mike via a mixing board. Where do I start with this? HELP!!! Posts: 2
CompuDisc, The Boutique studio specializing in Digital preservation of your recorded memories and music.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Why do you need to record the backing track? Normally, you'd just arm the new track and record it, listening to the backing track.

Greg
CompuDisc

Why the backing track?

Post by CompuDisc »

Thanks Greg
When the backing track is recorded you hear the soloist playing with the backing. This is then saved as an MP3 file, and uploaded to the soloist's teacher. Several recordings are burned to a CD. The soloist, (the student) uses a backing track supplied by the teacher or downloads from some source. My job is to put the soloist and the music together.
CompuDisc, The Boutique studio specializing in Digital preservation of your recorded memories and music.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Yes, you'd have the backing music loaded into Mixcraft, then you'd record the soloist onto another track while the soloist listens to the backing track. Finally, you'd burn a CD or mix down to MP3 or whatever.

Greg
CompuDisc

Post by CompuDisc »

Thanks Greg... It's obvious my original message wasn't clear. I knew all you say. The problem I was having is the backing track and the soloist were being recorded on the same track. I had to have the soloist seperate in order to edit the sound levels of both tracks so they wouldn't clash. I finally got the answer on the Yahoo Mixer Forum. It works perfectly in Mixcraft. The only element that's weak is modifying the sound levels. I need a more precise way of doing it than what I see in Mixcraft.... or is there something there I'm missing?
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

I am not sure how much more precise it could get. You have a track with music on it, and a track with the solist on it, you use the level sliders to turn each one up or down. Is there something else you were looking for?
CompuDisc

More problems

Post by CompuDisc »

I've managed to keep the two files apart. With my Delta 44 card I load the sound file into track 1 with 3/4 playback. Track 2 is armed to record fron inputs1/2 on the left channel only. When I record with the speakers off I can hear the backing track with earphones rom the mixer. The recording to track 2 can also be heard....
Now the other problem. When there is playback there is a warbleing/gurgling sound only from track 2, the one which was recorded live. The backing track is clean. The mix down to MP3 or wav is not useable. Neither Delta or Yamaha have any ideas as to what's causing it. Suggestions range from changing connections, cabels, etc to raising the bit rate. If you would like a clip if the sound with and without the backup I'll be happy to send it to you.

Let me add a little extra after some experementing. First, the better description of the sound is unwanted tremelo. The higher the note the greater the tremelo.
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Are you using the m-audio ASIO driver that came with the delta44? If not, try that. If you are, try using wave instead.
CompuDisc

ASIO

Post by CompuDisc »

Hey Eric.... You win this one. Your suggestion of using ASIO has made all the difference. ASIO is not, for some reason, on the discs that came with the Delta 44 sound card. I ended up downloading and installing the "new" ASIO4all V2. After opening in Mixcraft It enabled setting up in the Delta 44. It makes all the difference in the world. Thanks so much. :D :lol: