Weird Midi Anomolie?..

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

logix7

Weird Midi Anomolie?..

Post by logix7 »

Hi Everyone..

And well, I'm a total noob but a fast learner and dont mind diving in so please bare with me.

This is my first venture into music production. I'm loving this software so far because I'm finding it freindly and easy to use and a lot less daunting than how some of the other softwares looked. I Want to purchase it but need to know something first sort of thing.

I've got my Korg x50 hooked up via usb and I'm able to play any of mixcraft virtual instruments/sounds from my keyboard, but not the other way round..

ie, when I select my korg as the external midi (it shows up as the x50) either no sound comes out, or every instrument I select on my keyboard just sounds like a piano in mixcraft, it's as though it's not picking up all the other elements/layers of the instrument from my keyboard

is that normal? is that how it works, you just use the keyboard to play virtual instruments, or is there a way I can record the actual sounds from my own keyboard too sort of thing..

Hope that make sense.

Thanks

Martin
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

If you select the Korg as the external MIDI device, then you should have MIDI on the track that you are sending to the Korg. Is that what you're doing?

Greg
logix7

Post by logix7 »

Hi Greg.

Thanks for your reply.

and Not quite...

And well, I had another mess with it tonight, (so far Im much prefering mixcraft to any others) its the one I keep coming back to.

Anyway, I had another mess tonight, but apparently Ive been told I need to get a midi interface because I wont be able to record the sound from the keyboard through just the usb cable? but need to connect to the L/R audio out from the korg to a midi interface, then to the pc..(I think)

I can use my korg to play any of the vst's within mixcraft, no problem, but cant get any of the onboard sounds from my keyboard to play in mixcraft or the arpregiators etc. (Which is what I was trying to do)

Thanks

Martin
MusicMeister

So

Post by MusicMeister »

So this is what I do to get the instrument out of the keyboard. First open up a new instrument tab. Then select any random instrument on it. Then select the instrument you want from your Korg. It should end up playing the last sound you selected. That's worked for me.
logix7

Post by logix7 »

Thanks MusicMeister:)

I will give that a whirl later and report later, I thought I did hear one of my keyboard sounds at one point, but wasnt sure..so may of accidently done something like that without realising, (only the once though) it went back to piano again.. sooo I wil try it later

Thanks

M
wretched_aaron

Post by wretched_aaron »

If you are wanting to record the sound directly from your keyboard into Mixcraft, you'll need to use the line in option. And you'll need a cable similar to this:
One side goes in your keyboard's headphone jack, and the other side goes into the line in jack on your computer (the blue one). I'm not sure what this wire is called... but maybe someone here can help?

Also, your keyboard most likely has a larger headphone jack so you may also need a headphone adapter plug:

With this, you'll just be recording audio and you can't edit the midi on the computer. It's the same as recording a guitar or a voice through a microphone.
logix7

Post by logix7 »

Hi Aaron

Thanks for the reply and the pics (helps when I can see exactly what I need). Thank You..

Ive been doing some reading though I have more of an idea, still trying to figure out exactly the best (least expensice for now) way to do it

I want to be able to record the arps and the instruments from my keyboard.

Im using my laptop at the moment which doesn't have a line in on the soundcard, just headphone out, and mic in

so as I understand it at the moment my options would be:

from the keyboard headphone or L/R audio out to something like this?

I know that wouldn't give me midi control, but I was wondering if I had the midi hooked up as well from the keyboard to the laptop via usb if I could just switch over to that line when I needed midi control?

Also.. would it make more sense to get a usb mixer, and just plug the keyboard into that instead?

:S.. its still kind of confusing as there seems to be several ways to do it

but ultimately its just me recording so all I need is my keyboard for now, and eventually probably a mic going to mixcraft.

Thanks

Martin