Latency

Support and feedback for Pianissimo virtual grand piano software

Moderators: Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, rsaintjohn

Stjamesg8

Latency

Post by Stjamesg8 »

Sorry, I'm sure there have been other posts regarding latency issues, but can't find a search function.

I'm currently trying the 14-day trial version and is running fine on my Vista 32 bit system. I just ordered a new keyboard, but until it arrives, I have an old Kurzweil Ensemble Grande 71-key keyboard that I've hooked up using the required MIDI-USB cable. Sound is very good through my computer/subwoofer speaker system using WaveRT, but with the latency setting at the lowest amount (20), I'm still getting a very, very slight latent response. I just updated my sound card's driver but didn't change anything. I'm using an ASUS P5Q Pro motherboard with Realtek sound. The latency is slight but noticeable and with the keyboard's speakers turned up, it's clearly heard when a key is pressed. The keyboard itself is heard first, then Pianissimo a split second after. It's like a slap-back effect.

And ideas about correcting this latency?

BTW, the MIDI-USB cable is a cheap one I ordered online but received consistently great reviews. Could it be the cable quality and would it help to get a higher quality cable? The sound is great. Just this latency issue.

Denny
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Are you using the standalone version of Pianissimo or are you using it as a plugin in a DAW?

You could try using the generic ASIO driver ASIO4All: http://www.asio4all.com/

Greg
Stjamesg8

Post by Stjamesg8 »

Hi Greg,

I'm using the stand alone. Don't have a DAW. I don't plan on doing any recording or anything other than simply practicing classical pieces. It's just nice to hear that grand piano sound.

ASIO is disabled in preferences but could try the generic driver.

Denny
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

The generic ASIO driver should provide you with an ASIO option, since your sound card apparently doesn't provide its own.

Greg
Stjamesg8

Post by Stjamesg8 »

Actually I just loaded it but the ASIO option is still grayed out in preferences.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Have you restarted your computer since you installed ASIO4All? If not, try that.

Greg
Stjamesg8

Post by Stjamesg8 »

Hi,

No, I'm in the middle of a job right now (I'm a graphic designer), but will restart as soon as I reach a stopping point. I'll let you know.

Denny
Stjamesg8

Post by Stjamesg8 »

Hi Greg,

Just rebooted and the ASIO option is now available and I've selected it. But I'm getting no sound at all through Pianissimo. In preferences under the ASIO selection, beside "Default Output (Playback)", it says "Not connected 1" with nothing else available in the drop down.

?????

Denny
Stjamesg8

Post by Stjamesg8 »

Update.

Got it going by changing some settings then closing and restarting Pianissimo. The latency issue seems to have been resolved and the overall sound seems better and cleaner but now I'm getting quite a lot of noise...crackling and electronic sounds as I press certain keys. So I'm playing with the ASIO settings.

Denny
Stjamesg8

Post by Stjamesg8 »

Sorry for all the posts but wanted to update the progress.

Got rid of the noise but not until I discovered changing settings in the ASIO driver doesn't take effect until Pianissimo is closed and reopened. The biggest aggravation is I've figured out the Pianissimo adjustment settings to suit my taste based on my speaker system, etc but unfortunately presets can't be saved. So every time the program is opened, I have to readjust several settings... Sympathetic Resonance, Mids, Highs, Reverb, and Reverb Type. This in itself may keep me from purchasing Pianissimo since it's counterproductive.

Any future plans to update Pianissimo to include a save settings option? Myself, I'd rather pay a little more and have this option. Along with the list of presets, it would be nice to have "Custom" or "User", where users can save at least three or four custom settings.

Thanks again for your help.

Denny
ausairman

Re: Latency

Post by ausairman »

I'd be interested in this as well; why don't the devs respond to these messages?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

We don't have any plans to update Pianissimo at the present time.

Greg
oskar

Post by oskar »

I also had latency problems, several times, with and without use in a DAW. With keyboard (midi as well as usb), guitar and midi-drum devices.
Finally I decided to buy an affordable, small and practical external sound card. Configured ASIO. And my problems were history.

I bought a second hand Tascam US-122 for 50 euro's, after that I was also able to connect every input and output device I wanted.

Their are no relevant improvements by getting other, more expensive, USB cables. That's different story when it comes to audio-interlinks, speaker cable, HDMI (hi-speed) etc. However, problems could occur when the usb cable is longer than lets say 4-5 meters and a lot of other electrical stuff (220v) is located near the USB cable.

Oskar Hendriks (NL)