Removing Distortion From Recording

Support and feedback for Spin It Again.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan

timg

Removing Distortion From Recording

Post by timg »

Is there a way to remove the distortion from a recording. I have made some recording in which you can hear the distortion in the speakers of the receiver. The distortion problem sound just like the distortion effect you can add in SIA. I have used SIA to sucessfully remove the pops & crackles and clean the EQ sound. However, I can not find a way to get the distortion out. The records have been played heavily over the years on my parents 45 year old stereo system. I am playing them on a turntable for which I have just purchased a brand new stylus.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Did you try one of the "tape" cleaning effects? They include noise reduction (as opposed to click and pop removal). Or try the "Clean Anything" effect, which also includes noise reduction.

Where did the distorted recordings come from? The best solution to distortion is not to have distortion in the first place. For example, trying to record LPs or cassettes through a microphone input can cause distortion and recording it again through a Line input would fix the problem. Also, having the recording level too high can cause distortion and the best solution is to record it again at the proper level. There's no way to totally fix that kind of distortion, because there is missing sound information.

Greg