Plug-in??

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

bryan6969

Plug-in??

Post by bryan6969 »

Just so I understand correctly (and being new to computer recording), what exactly is a plug-in software? How does it work with a supportive software host? Can plug-ins be used with any software? Thanks.
Gman

Post by Gman »

I'll try to help here, but Greg or Eric may be along shortly.

Plug-ins are what you use to add effects to your recorded tracks. Reverb, delay, compressor, EQ would all be plug-ins. Mixcraft supports VST type plug-ins. It does NOT support VST instruments. I saw your previous post about industrial type music and am having trouble understanding what you are after there, but that might require VST instrument capability which you would not find with Mixcraft. But, Mixcraft will support any prerecorded .wav file or any input you can supply on the line-in of your sound card.
bryan6969

Post by bryan6969 »

Gman wrote:I'll try to help here, but Greg or Eric may be along shortly.

Plug-ins are what you use to add effects to your recorded tracks. Reverb, delay, compressor, EQ would all be plug-ins. Mixcraft supports VST type plug-ins. It does NOT support VST instruments. I saw your previous post about industrial type music and am having trouble understanding what you are after there, but that might require VST instrument capability which you would not find with Mixcraft. But, Mixcraft will support any prerecorded .wav file or any input you can supply on the line-in of your sound card.
Thanks Gman. In regards to the Industrial workstation, I found a software from Eastwest that is basically a synth sampler. The software reads that it is a VST plug-in and/or standalone software. I would like to know if it is compatible before buying it. When used as a standalone, it has no sequencing capabilities but I would think as long as I could save it in a wav. file then I should be able to at least import it into Mixcraft. Then again I also wonder if I can use it as a plug in with Beatcraft and use Beatcraft as a sequencer . . . ??
Gman

Post by Gman »

I'm not a Beatcraft user at this point (say it ain't so). Eric is our resident Beatcraft guru and hopefully can give you some insight.
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Residential Beatcraft Guru here :-)

Generally, if a plug-in says it can run as a stand alone app, it is a VST instrument and is not supported by Mixcraft/Beatcraft.

Are you referring to COLOSSUS?
Gman

Re: re

Post by Gman »

Acoustica Eric wrote:Residential Beatcraft Guru here :-)
That sounds so 60s....

:D
bryan6969

Re: re

Post by bryan6969 »

Acoustica Eric wrote:Residential Beatcraft Guru here :-)

Generally, if a plug-in says it can run as a stand alone app, it is a VST instrument and is not supported by Mixcraft/Beatcraft.

Are you referring to COLOSSUS?
Heya Guru man:)

Actually I was looking at Nostalgia or Virtual Vapor Synth. I seen Colossus but is waaaaayy to much $$$ for me:(

(I'm slowly starting to understand this computer recording thing more:/)
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

yeah, that's why I asked, because it is very expensive.

I am actually looking at a plug-in right now too that my wife not appreciate (too much money). :-)