EWQL Promotion

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

Re: EWQL Promotion

Post by Acoustica Eric »

I don't remember, I don't think so though.
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

I just found this free orchestra library called 'Sonatina Symphony Orchestra'. The creator claims to have sourced the best quality free samples he could find, which is why he's been discriminating enough to omit certain instruments that he's been unable to find good enough samples for. I've not tried it yet but just thought I'd bring it to people's attention for the benefit of those with smaller pockets, and maybe people can report back with their findings. Or maybe chibear has beaten us to this one already.

http://sso.mattiaswestlund.net/

Here's a demonstration video on the webpage where I stumbled across it:

http://howtomakeelectronicmusic.com/bes ... le-library

BTW: the samples are in 16-bit rather than 24-bit, for which the creator has provided an explanation.
chibear

Post by chibear »

I didn't like it, but it has already been established that I'm a grumpy old man :) It depends on your taste and how you intend to use the library. For pop backgrounds and the like it probably would be adequate, but IMO you get better quality from the Acoustica offerings. For film scoring, standalone composition, or mockups for clients: big fail.
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
clavguy

Post by clavguy »

Ian
Those samples are in .sfz format... which is ok with me because the Aria Player that came with my Garritan libraries play .sfz samples
Arpeggio

Post by Arpeggio »

What do you think about this free solo cello?
http://blakus.com/pocketblakus-192
"There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself." -- J.S. Bach
http://soundcloud.com/arpeggio-2/
chibear

Post by chibear »

Liked enough to download it, try it & keep it. Thanks! :) In trying it, Sometimes a note doesn't speak in high velocities, but maybe I should read his instructions lol.

Edit: It appears marcato attack is maximized at a velocity <> 90, so something to get used to. Using lots of mod wheel yields lots of expressivity, so volume = mod wheel, attack style = velocity. BTW <> the 4th or 5th try I came up with a much more convincing Game of Thrones than his example :wink:
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
Arpeggio

Post by Arpeggio »

chibear wrote: Edit: It appears marcato attack is maximized at a velocity <> 90, so something to get used to. Using lots of mod wheel yields lots of expressivity, so volume = mod wheel, attack style = velocity. BTW <> the 4th or 5th try I came up with a much more convincing Game of Thrones than his example :wink:
Marcato? I didn't know he had marcato included. Which articulation was that?
"There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself." -- J.S. Bach
http://soundcloud.com/arpeggio-2/
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Interesting, and great sounding examples, but I am lost......
How to?
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
chibear

Post by chibear »

@arpeggio: It appears the instrument varies attack style with velocity. When I say 'marcato', I'm talking as a brass player, the actual technique is probably martele' (SP?) which is a very hard attack at the beginning caused by pressing the bow into the string. I just tried it in stand-alone Kontakt. I haven't put it into MixCraft so I can fool with the velocity and actually see what's happening, but you do have hard & soft attacks available.

@mblis: There is a link on the link arpeggio gave us that takes you to a link you can get the zipped download....or something like that :?
Soundcloud YouTube
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I made it that far, but found multiple links to downloads that didnt seem sensibly organized or presented, So I wasnt sure where to start, what to download.... And then theres the comment that the files dont load as librarys normally would and you have to apparently know how to make them work some other way. All makes me hesitant.
But the examples sound good to me!
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
chibear

Post by chibear »

I used the 'download full 1.2 package' link and extracted it into the same folder as all my other Kontakt libraries. I assumed that includes everything else and he uses scripts to change articulations.
Soundcloud YouTube
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Thanks!
I down loaded that file, and will see if I can figure it out when I have a little time to mess with it!
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
chibear

Post by chibear »

I played with it a bit and it turns out to be not as good as first impressions. First he's not all great of a player. Second the scripts seem to give an uneven result no matter how I tweek velocity and volume envelopes. My best effort:https://dl.dropbox.com/u/47699417/ThronesN.wav
Soundcloud YouTube
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

Not exactly pleasing to the ear either, is it?
chibear

Post by chibear »

Just for the hell of it I played that passage with every cello I have: Acoustica, Miroslav, and both VSL orchestras in Kontakt factory library. They all sounded much better than the one above, but I couldn't quite get the correct accent I wanted on any of the strong notes. The closest one was the new VSL orchestra library using the sustained articulation and taking advantage of the velocity layers. With Acoustica I tried doing it with the volume envelope, but couldn't zoom in deep enough to get a good accent. With Miroslav I tried adding a staccato attack to the sustained note, activated by velocity, but could not blend the 2 the way I wanted. The winner seems to be an example I heard of EWQLSO playing that example in their forums. Next years sale for that :)
Soundcloud YouTube