sound levels look good on sound card but too low on SIA

Support and feedback for Spin It Again.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan

mightyoakbob

sound levels look good on sound card but too low on SIA

Post by mightyoakbob »

Hi Everyone,

First post and I'm new here. Feeding the tape output from my pre-amp into the line in on M-Audio AP2496. Levels look great on sound card but on the meter on SIA it appears considerably lower. I've run the level wizard and got no errors but the level on the meters still looks way lower than on the sound card.

I don't understand how this can happen, if the sound card is converting to digital peaking at -3db how can SIA show it much lower, it should be identical surely as it's just digital numbers. Or is it that the meter in SIA is just an expanded view of the peak area as it's not calibrated?

Words of wisdom appreciated.

Cheers,

Bob.
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

Re: sound levels look good on sound card but too low on SIA

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Hi, are you sure you chose the correct input from within SIA? If the recorded level is good then I would call it good. If the recorded level is too low, turn it up at the pre-amp or the interface and see if you can get it to a good level without distortion.
mightyoakbob

Re: sound levels look good on sound card but too low on SIA

Post by mightyoakbob »

Acoustica Eric wrote:Hi, are you sure you chose the correct input from within SIA? If the recorded level is good then I would call it good. If the recorded level is too low, turn it up at the pre-amp or the interface and see if you can get it to a good level without distortion.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Bob.