Midi device not recognized

Support and feedback for Pianissimo virtual grand piano software

Moderators: Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, rsaintjohn

oskar

Midi device not recognized

Post by oskar »

In many forums I found that people often ask, why their midi device is not recognized or doesn't function.

Each time the answers are based on technical blabla what a normal citizen doesn't want to know about, UPPER en LOWER keywords in the registry, Logitec webcams etc.

The solution 9 out of 10 times has to be found in a hardware issue (USB-B), just connect the midi device through a usb-hub (about 5-10 dollar/euro) to the computer, and the device will function. It has nothing to do with pianissimo or other software related stuff, unless you configured your midi input device incorrect on the computer, but that's normally done by the user interfaces that come along with the OS and applications, and not by modification of registries. It has nothing to do with Cakewalk, Mixcraft or any other software.

When this problem was encountered and solved with a usb-hub, most of the times the computer involved was a laptop or any other portable device.

Oskar Hendriks (NL)
Acoustica Greg

Re: Midi device not recognized

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Many MIDI devices these days have their own USB connections, which work perfectly well for most people. Buying a USB-to-MIDI adapter would be redundant and it wouldn't necessarily solve the problem. The suggestion to edit the registry is only made if other suggestions have failed. But you're right, MIDI is pretty simple and it should just work. Some other issues to check out would be to make sure no other MIDI applications are running in the background (including instances of Mixcraft), bypassing the use of USB hubs, trying a different USB port, and if you are using a MIDI-to-USB adapter, making sure that the "MIDI Out" on the keyboard is connected to the "MIDI In" on the adapter. This last item is a very common mistake.

Greg
oskar

Post by oskar »

Hi Greg,

Just to be sure, I was talking about a midi device with it's own USB connection. For example, and among others, my "studiologic vmk-88 plus" (By Fatar). Only functions by connecting it with Midi to my Tascam US-122, and the Tascom directly with USB to USB of a laptop. If I don't use the Tascam and connect the keyboard directly to any USB port (1.0 or 2.0) (I have tested this with 2 Toshiba's an Acer and a Fujitsu) Fujitsu and Desktop, no problem. For the other laptops I needed a USB-hub (not an MIDI to USB converter). It's even more strange when the system tells you that the USB device Studiologic has been connected, but it won't function unless I make use of a USB-hub. And the Studiologic is not the only device that showed this problem. Even (and now it comes) the ION keyboard that comes along with Pianissimo only works with help of a USB-HUB. And like erlier mentioned, without the HUB Windows tells me that the device is connected but Pianissimo doesn't respond and even tells me there is no device, like the other VSTi's or stand alones.

:? cheers, I wanted to shares this information, to prevent that people unnecessarilly damage the registry before trying this option. And I love the sound of Pianissimo.
adson3492

Post by adson3492 »

Whenever I play something with the sustain pedal (in the standalone host program, I do not have a separate pedal), Pianissimo will play it with the sustain pedal, but it won't mix out with the pedal on. For the first few months of using Pianissimo, I would have to reapply the sustain pedal after recording, then mix it down to an mp3. However, this has stopped working. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
outteh

Post by outteh »

I think the USB issue in recognizing devices is a windows problem. When using a hub, the hub is recognized by windows and any device going through it uses it's established windows path. Sometimes devices that are USB, when connected directly to a windows machine does not get recognized properly and thus all the troubleshooting issues. Using a hib can actually cause latency issues and interrupts when other devices utilize it at the same time, especially in audio production. :D