Creating a DVD-Audio

Support and feedback for Spin It Again.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan

kcblair

Creating a DVD-Audio

Post by kcblair »

I'm attempting to create a audio DVD. I understand how to create WAV files and I'm using Bite Rate 24, and Sample rate 96000. I know that CD's are limited to 44100/16. The problem, is how to create a DVD-Audio. Is there a software that I should be using in addition to SpinItAgain ? I have discovered that copying those files to a DVD, doesn't work. Thank You
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

Re: Creating a DVD-Audio

Post by Acoustica Eric »

DVD's cannot be used to create audio disks like a cd, only data disks. You can use any common cd burner program to create a data dvd, which will contain mp3 files playable by computers or cd layers in cars or home audio systems that support data playback.
Our program Mp3 CD Burner can do this, it is here http://www.acoustica.com/mp3-cd-burner/
kcblair

Post by kcblair »

Thanks Eric. I was hoping to create maybe a "audio DVD" with wav files, playable on a Dvd player. Not use a DVD-audio, which I guess doesn't exist. I noted that Spin-It-Again "will Record in hi-fi sampling rates and bit depths and render out to hi-fi DVD audio ready files, if desired and supported. (48khz -> 192 khz, 24 bit audio)" I was looking for a way to process those hi-fi DVD audio ready files onto a playable DVD. Either a DVD + R or -R.
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Dvd players play data disks, which are mp3 disks. Just burn an mp3 CD and your dvd player should play it.
kcblair

Post by kcblair »

Thanks Eric, that's what I have been doing with your software for the past several years. I've upgraded my turntable and cartridge/stylus and what to start converting with wav files (which Spinitagain does), my issue is that CD's only can handle 16bit/44100hrz wav files. MP3 is fine with portable players/tablets, but, I am hoping to create 24bit/48 or 96khrz,high resolution wav files, which, again your software can create. My real situation is getting these files onto a DVD in playable condition. Copying the high resolution wav files as data files will not play. Creating CD's with these high resolution files, from what I have researched, will only play at CD quality wav (16bit/44khrz). DVD's are a complicated situation. Guess I'm turning into a bit of a audiophile. My goal is to see if I can hear a difference between CD quality wav files and high resolution wav files. If I can't, I will stay with the CD quality wav files. The high resolution wav files will play on my PC, but my sound system is not connected to the PC. Maybe, if I can connect my PC to the stereo sound system, I can test the sound quality. Using my PC speakers, are just not up to the task, as my Pioneer and Cerwin Vega speakers. See what I'm attempting to do ????
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Yes I understand what you are trying to do.
*Dvd disks cannot be used as audio disks like a cd
*cd audio is always 16/44 no matter what software creates the disk
*the human ear can't hear a difference between cd quality and higher sample and bit rates for the most part
*320kb/s mp3 files sound great, you'll never hear a difference between those and 16/44 wave files

Basically, when you record old lp's and tapes and try to save them at some extreme sample and bit rate, you are trying to get a higher quality sound than the source was recorded at, which is pointless and only takes up a load more space on your hard drive.
Hope this helps
kcblair

Post by kcblair »

Thanks Eric, Guess that's what I'm looking to hear. All my music is rock, so I guess I'm not as concerned as someone wanting to hear Bach. Some I'll press on with CD quality. Thanks for all your assistance.
kcblair

Post by kcblair »

Eric, performed a test this morning and this is what I have discovered (amazing to discover stuff at my age)

PC sound card was connected to Stereo Amp via proper cables. One test song was created using the following 3 files. Played through stereo with all settings constant.

Sound card 24bit/48khrz (Studio Quality) Test Situation
 Wav file 24Bit/48khrz *Control Test*

Sound Card 16bit/44khrz (CD Quality)
 Wav file 16bit/44khrz * No different that Control Test*

Sound Card 16bit/44khrz
 MP3 file 320kb/s *Base was notably flatter, less “Ump” than CD quality. High end tones seemed the same to me, on all 3 files. * I’m 66yrs old and probably lost some high frequencies attending concerts over the years. AC/DC was last concert a few years back.

So, looks like CD Quality LP conversion is great for my stereo sound system, MP3 is good enough for portable players. I have lots of HHD storage space for LP conversions, one 500GB HHD dedicated to this project.

I didn't get a chance to compare the recording quality against the original LP, as that is connected to the PC via a different amp, with a turntable in/out. But, I'm happy with the CD quality conversions. A while back, I discovered that CD's contained Wav files, vs. MP3, so now I've got to go back and re-convert those LP's to wav files and into CD's. I built a new PC earlier this year and made sure I have lots of HHD space. That will keep me busy the remainder of the Winter.
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

Post by Acoustica Eric »

If that's what works for you then that's great, enjoy!