what orchestral vst plug ins work with mixcraft?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

flydog

what orchestral vst plug ins work with mixcraft?

Post by flydog »

i'm playing with the demo of mixcraft i'm liking the interface. what orchestral plug ins are known to work well with mixcraft? i'm weighing my options at the moment.
chibear

Re: what orchestral vst plug ins work with mixcraft?

Post by chibear »

Right now I'm trying out Miroslav Philharmonic by IK.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/philharmonik/

I quite like it. Have a listen to the demos and see what you think. Some people like a more polished sound like that of EWQL orchestra (which I'll buy when I have the computer to run it and the bucks) or the more synthy sound of Garritan orchestra. MP lies in the middle both sound and price wise. The samples were taken from the Czek Philharmonic rather than free-lancers so MP has a more unanimous sound style than the other 2 throughout the samples if that makes a difference to you. So far the only problem I've had were some strange artifacts in soft sections on my dual core desktop that have yet to appear on my new quad core laptop so it might be a problem in the machine. MP is a multi-channel VST and Mixcfraft 6 worked quite well with it in that area. It is surprisingly lenient with the CPU. I get ratings <>4% on the quad core and <>10% on the dual core. That's with 20 or more tracks running full out. It is a powerful VST and I've had it only a month so it will take some time to explore. I'll post a review under 'plugins' when I think I have a handle on everything.
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Along with Miroslav Philharmonic, we've also got customers using Garritan and also products from EastWest, like Quantum Leap Silver.

Greg
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

I find that with a little EQ adjustment plus adding a slow attack, the orchestral instruments provided with Mixcraft can sound pretty authentic. I've put together a piece that has a big orchestral sound using violins and cellos, and it sounds superb. I've also used the wind instruments (flute, oboe and saxophone) on something else and they sound authentic too.

I've seen some stuff posted on Youtube supposedly using EastWest and I was thoroughly unimpressed, it often sounded a bit too mechanical, although maybe that was just due to the composer's shortcomings in manipulating the sounds.
soufinel

Post by soufinel »

Ianpb wrote:I find that with a little EQ adjustment plus adding a slow attack, the orchestral instruments provided with Mixcraft can sound pretty authentic. I've put together a piece that has a big orchestral sound using violins and cellos, and it sounds superb. I've also used the wind instruments (flute, oboe and saxophone) on something else and they sound authentic too.

I've seen some stuff posted on Youtube supposedly using EastWest and I was thoroughly unimpressed, it often sounded a bit too mechanical, although maybe that was just due to the composer's shortcomings in manipulating the sounds.
sorry to bump this old topic, but how would you adjust the attack for acoustica's vst? there doesn't seem to be a controller for it in the piano roll and you can't edit it
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

If you place your mouse pointer over the track you will see the volume line along the middle. If you click on this line about a half second to a second in you will create a marker. Then lower the volume line before this marker to zero. That will provide a slow attack. The reverse can be performed at the end of the sound to adjust decay.

I believe there is a tutorial video available on the Acoustica website that explains how to manipulate the volume line.
soufinel

Post by soufinel »

oh, so it's just a manual fade then, not actually changing the attack... i see. thanks for the quick reply
Louis B

Post by Louis B »

flydog wrote:i'm playing with the demo of mixcraft i'm liking the interface. what orchestral plug ins are known to work well with mixcraft? i'm weighing my options at the moment.
I am successfully running in Mixcraft 6 Pro: Vienna Ensemble Pro; East West Platinum Orchestra; Garritan and G-Player (player for Giga studio Orchestra) and Kontakt 4 Orchestra. The Kontact 4 is has a quicker to use GUI, though all are excellent once got to grips with. Vienna Ensemble Pro has the best GUI for Orchestra by far, Garritan is the cheapest and makes a passable rendition of an orchestra.
Yamaha CS80, Elka Synthex Mk2, Korg Oasys 76, Oberheim OB8, Open Labs Neko LX61, DSI Poly Evolver, Kurzweil PC3K8, Moog Taurus I & III, Roland Super JX-10, Integra-7, V-Synth, JD-800, Varios, Novation Supernova II, Mackie D8B & HDR-24.
chibear

Post by chibear »

I am successfully running in Mixcraft 6 Pro: Vienna Ensemble Pro; East West Platinum Orchestra; Garritan and G-Player (player for Giga studio Orchestra) and Kontakt 4 Orchestra. The Kontact 4
Do you use Kontakt and/or EWQLSO Platinum with a bit wrapper? If so how is that working for you? If not, how many instances EWQLSO can you open with 2 mic positons without the wheels coming off? Very curious as I am about to do a major computer upgrade and software purchase.

Edit: Also just read the manual(s) for VE Pro. Found the quickstart more helpful than the manual. Do you run run EWQLSO and Kontakt instruments in VE Pro and then record in Mixcraft??
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
Louis B

Post by Louis B »

I don't use any bit-wrapping. I typically use 2-3 different library players at the same time, with no problem.

I have run up to 32 channels of VE Pro with no drop-out. To date I've only run about 8 dual mic instruments in EW Platinum Orchestra.

My PC is a high-spec i7 Sandy Bridge with 16GB RAM and the above has not posed a problem. My audio interface is a Digi 002 rack.
Yamaha CS80, Elka Synthex Mk2, Korg Oasys 76, Oberheim OB8, Open Labs Neko LX61, DSI Poly Evolver, Kurzweil PC3K8, Moog Taurus I & III, Roland Super JX-10, Integra-7, V-Synth, JD-800, Varios, Novation Supernova II, Mackie D8B & HDR-24.
UilleannB

Post by UilleannB »

Since this thread still seems to be alive, another addition: the library I'm using mostly is "Peter Siedlaczek Complete Classical Collection 2nd Edition" with the Kontakt 5 player. Works well, although probably not the "fattest" orchestral sound possible, but it comes at a very reasonable price and the results are okay for me.
chibear

Post by chibear »

"Peter Siedlaczek Complete Classical Collection 2nd Edition"
Is there a North American distributer? The only place I've been able to find it is Best Service in Europe. Soundsonline handles Best Service Products in North America but doesn't carry that product.
Soundcloud YouTube
UilleannB

Post by UilleannB »

chibear wrote:
"Peter Siedlaczek Complete Classical Collection 2nd Edition"
Is there a North American distributer? The only place I've been able to find it is Best Service in Europe. Soundsonline handles Best Service Products in North America but doesn't carry that product.

I'm not sure, but I thought BestService would distribute worldwide?!
In case you don't need a DVD, BestService has another site (soundsondemand) where you can buy and download the libraries directly:

http://www.soundsondemand.com/found.asp ... n_2nd/en/1

Check the audio demos first to see if this is the sound you are searching for.
wildbil

Post by wildbil »

Hi Louis B

I know this is off target, but could you please describe your computer and hardware?
Thanks and Happy Holidays.

bil
win7 64; Realtek ALC 889 sound card on MSI mobo; MC6 Pro; band in a box 2011; Gateway NV55S28U Laptop... it has Realtek onboard sound.
Louis B

Post by Louis B »

wildbil wrote:Hi Louis B

I know this is off target, but could you please describe your computer and hardware?
Thanks and Happy Holidays.

bil
Apologies for the delay - only just picked this message up!

Custom made Win7 tower PC, Core i7 3.4 GHz Sandy Bridge processor with 16GB RAM. Sound interface - Digidesign Digi rack 002 via firewire. Very stable and glitch-free! Beautiful rich audio out of the Digi rack.

Louis.