Mixing and 24bit mastering?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

msnickybee

Re: Mixing and 24bit mastering?

Post by msnickybee »

Thank you!
I'm getting an overall better, smoother sound and waveform now. The multiband compressor was boosting then crushing the peaks...well, that's what it looked like to me anyway.

I'm using a Focusrite "Midnight" Compressor for mastering now, it seems really lovely...and whilst it costs, you get it free when subscribing to the UK "Sound on Sound" magazine (which I love). Women don't just read clothes/shoes magazines....lol

Not sure about the dithering... Yes, I've got "artifacts" (or maybe not) now, but they're more sibilant/tambourine high peaks that were previously being crushed... So I'm going back to the mix to fix.

I've kept the 16/96 master right until the final CD or mp3 stage though... am learning! But is "dithering" built into Mixcraft, or is there a separate plugin VST needed? (I couldn't find a freeware one, although I admit I didn't look much...)

:-)
Acoustica Greg

Re: Mixing and 24bit mastering?

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Mixcraft doesn't incorporate dithering, mainly because our software developers don't think it adds anything to the final product. If you wanted to dither anyway, you can mix down to the 96000 Hz sample rate and then dither it down to a lower sample rate using some other software that does that.

Greg