Hard drive allocation

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

clavguy

Hard drive allocation

Post by clavguy »

Hello everyone...

When I first bought my new computer, it came with one big hard drive. I prefer to partition things so drive C has the operating system and drive D is my data drive. I understand these are logical/virtual drives and everything is physically on the one drive. So that made it NOT worth worrying about where Mixcraft was vs the rest of the stuff including MC projects.

I recently added another physical drive to the computer. Let's call it drive E for discussion purposes.

Where would guys suggest I "put" things such as Mixcraft itself and MC projects. Obviously the operating system (Windows 7, 64 pro) has to stay on drive C. But what about everything else????

Thanks in advance
Pierre
Studio 919

Re: Hard drive allocation

Post by Studio 919 »

clavguy,

My desktop has 2 hard drives.

Drive C contains Windows 7, Mixcraft 6 Pro, EXDrummer, and so on.

Drive D contains a backup of Drive C. Drive D also contains all my recordings.

I don't know if my set up is "the right way" or possibly "the best way" but so far it works for me.

Hope this helps,
Barry
No matter where you go, there you are.

clavguy

Post by clavguy »

Thanks Barry...

Just so you know, my setup with OS and Mixcraft and other programs on logical drive C and projects on logical drive D has been working for me too... But keep in mind, in my case, this is all the same physical drive

I just remember reading somewhere that putting the DAW software on a physically different drive than the OS or separating it from it's projects (again on a different physical hard drive) gives you the best performance.

And, now since I have two different drives in my computer I would like to take advantage of this.

If your setup is what gives the best performance, I would just move my projects from logical drive D to physical drive E.

Thanks
Pierre
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

Hi Pierre

My setup is the same as Doodads but I'd like to know if there other options. My C drive is the SSD and is only 60gig - only 15 left! :shock:

Having just read your 2nd post, Pierre, I've just tried cutting Mixcraft from C and pasting it my E drive. It still seems to work OK and I've saved another gig of HD space. :D
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
clavguy

Post by clavguy »

Hi Trev...

If I remember, putting the DAW on the same physical drive as the projects is not going to give the best performance. I don't know.. I could be wrong. There must be someone out there who knows more about this than me.

Pierre
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

Yep, let's wait for the experts.

Dan, Chris, Eric, Greg where are you when we need you? :lol:
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

How fast is the new drive? Is it faster than the existing drive? Maybe that's where Mixcraft should go. Since Mixcraft 6 allows you to choose your project folder / recording folder really easily, you could do some tests to see which drive gives you the best performance for recording.

Greg
Studio 919

Post by Studio 919 »

Hey Guys,

I probably should have mentioned that both of my drives are 7,200 RPM.
No matter where you go, there you are.

clavguy

Post by clavguy »

I will check tonight when I get home from work on the drive speeds
chibear

Post by chibear »

Hey Pierre,

I'm in the middle of my new build. Here's how the drives wll be set up:

120gb SSD: OS only plus MAYBE Mixcraft
1T WD Caviar Black: Programs
3 X 120 gb SSD: fast libraries
2T WD Caviar Black: Slow Libraries and Backups.

I know a bit about your VSTs from our previous conversations and from my research I would suggest that you put any samples (EWQL, Miroslav, Kontakt, Garratin)on a separate physical drive from Mixcraft for ease of streaming. EWQL, Miroslav, and Kontakt manuals all suggest this as do the bulk of users on the EWQL forums.

Sort of on the same topic:
Question for Greg on my setup: is it better to put Mixcraft on the SSD or the iT program drive? I know SSD is faster, but with calls from Windows & Mixcraft will I get better efficiency putting the program on the hard drive???
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I'd say put Mixcraft on the hard drive, not because it would be inherently better to put it on a hard drive, but so you can have it on a different drive from the operating system.

When you're recording audio to the hard drive, you want to minimize what's vying for access on that drive, and you also want a super fast drive.

Greg
clavguy

Post by clavguy »

Thanks Clyde

So I am thinking that since Mixcraft is located on the same physical drive as the OS right now, I will move all my VSTi stuff and samples and Mixcraft projects over to the new, recently installed, physical hard drive.

I might be able to do this real slick since all that stuff is already on what I call my data drive (Drive D) which is on the same physical drive as drive C and the oprarating system.
I will make a good back up first. Then, I will copy ALL of drive D to drive E (the new physical drive) Then I will rename D to H. Then rename E to D. Finally rename H to E and re-format E (old D)

That way all the stuff that I now have "pointing to" D:/folder/folder2/etc will still be correct, simply moved to the new physical drive.

What do you think? Will it work :?: :?:

EDIT: Greg posted while I was writing this up.... So, now I am not sure where things should go anymore
chibear

Post by chibear »

My head is spinning with all those letter lol. I still haven't decided whether to partition or not. My super geek 'helper' is campaigning against it.

For your purposes, would it not be a lot simpler to reinstall Mixcraft to your new drive and then point it to your existing project files, kind of like what Soundsquire recently did?
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi Pierre,

I didn't say anything that should change your plan. I'm guessing your new hard drive is nice and fast.

Greg
SoundSquire

Post by SoundSquire »

My new PC I just finished building has two drives:

120GB SSD Sandisk Extreme(C Drive) with Win 7 Pro
1.5TB SATA 6Gb/s Caviar Green (E Drive) with Mixcraft and everything else

This setup is working great for me and I plan on installing another two drives. Another SSD purely for a backup of the C drive and one more SATA for recording and more storage. I also have two external drives and a hot-swap drive for project backups and finals. I say never too much storage.

Note the Caviar Green is not quite as fast as the Black but it is virtually silent. 8)

Migrating from the old PC was fairly easy as I just pointed Mixcraft to the appropriate folders for the library and the old projects loaded up nicely minus the VSTs. I am having to install those as needed. Has allowed me to clean things up a bit as I went VST crazy when I first started and was trying stuff out. :wink:
All the best,
Sam

SoundCloud
Mixcraft Live
YouTube