What 3rd Party VST's Are You Using?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

elwoodblues1969

What 3rd Party VST's Are You Using?

Post by elwoodblues1969 »

Since Mixcraft 6 is limited to 32 bit(I'm not complaining),but it seems that most programs are 64 bit now & I wonder how many developers offer both 64 bit & 32 bit versions?I can't really imagine that 64 bit is all that necessary(and if I really wanted a program that came in only a 64 bit version),I could always buy something for my Presonus S1 DAW(but at this point,I like Mixcraft 6,much better than Presonus S1 in many ways).
That being said,my main focus now...is seeking out some suitable VST's that work well in Mixcraft.Eventually....I would really like to get Kontakt 5,but I had a boat-load of horrendous problems with my NI K6 bundle in my Presonus DAW...so needless to say,I am VERY nervous about laying down that kind of bread for that program,because I feel as though I am begging for trouble & if I do run into a brick wall with it,I can't return the software...there's just no way I can afford to put myself in that type of situation.

My Reason 6.5 is a phenomenal DAW in many ways,but the sample players in it,aren't quite up to par with NI's sample quality.

One of the main reasons I chose Mixcraft 6,was for the video editing and although I made some good use of some of the included VST's,most of the acoustical sounds lack realism...in contrast to Reason & NI K6.
I think what really shines in Mixcraft 6,are the VST effects & some of the synth engines(haven't tried the Lounge Lizard engine yet).The effects & added VST's in Mixcraft Pro are interesting,but it's not what I'm looking for specifically(although the Liquid Delay seems interesting).
I also chose Mixcraft 6,because I wanted to choose my own set of effects & VST's and Mixcraft Pro's retro synths is something I don't need(as I got it covered in my Reason DAW).

I'm really curious as to what my fellow Mixcrafter users are currently playing with and I am open to any & all input on this subject.

Thanks
Acoustica Greg

Re: What 3rd Party VST's Are You Using?

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I think most plugin makers still make 32-bit versions of their plugins. If there's a 64-bit-only plugin you want to try, you could use a bit bridge like "jbridge." See the Plugins Plugins Plugins topic way down near the bottom of the Acoustica forums for chibear's discussion of that. You might also browse through past posts to see what people have been using, but be careful, because people often only post here when they are having problems, so you might get a bad impression of a plugin like say EZDrummer, when in fact it's working well for most people.

Greg
Studio 919

Post by Studio 919 »

Hi,

I purchased MC6 Pro Studio about 3 months ago. So far, I have only recorded a few songs. So I only have a limited response to your inquiry.

The only 3rd party stuff I use is EZ Drummer, EZKeys, and EZMix, all from Toontrack. All of them are 32 bit as well as 64 bit. So, if (and when) Mixcraft offers 64 bit I should be ok.

I might add that I have not had any problems using any of these, plus they sound great.

Barry
No matter where you go, there you are.

elwoodblues1969

Never investigated Toontrack software as of yet,but I'll check it out.

Thanks,

-Thom
SoundSquire

Post by SoundSquire »

I tend to lean towards the Electronic music genres. Here is some of the stuff I have:

FX
D-Blue Glitch (insane craziness)
Tal Bit Crusher (perfect for wobble bass)
Kerovee (pitch correction but more gentle than Gsnap)
eaReckon EQUA87 (limiter is great for heavy handed eq)
Blue Cast Audio FreqAnalyst (great analyzer)
Twisted Lemon Sidekick4 (easy side chain compressor)

Instruments
Synapse Dune (killer synth)
Camel Audio Alchemy (great SFX patch player)
Green Oak Crystal (another killer synth)
KV331 Synthmaster (another killer synth)

Wishlist
Shreddage II (heavy metal guitars!)
NI Massive (can you have too many synths?)
Spectrasonics Trillian (complete bass instrument)

Many more so this is the short list. :mrgreen:
All the best,
Sam

SoundCloud
Mixcraft Live
YouTube
elwoodblues1969

I'm fairly eclectic genre-wise and I'm a big synth freak and currently,I'm considering SynthMaster.

I already have Massive for my Presonus S1 & although there are some interesting sounds & effects,there's too much in the way of blips,squelches,farts & other noise I have no use for..which pretty much accounts for most of NI's synths,so I'm not a big fan.

I have the free version of Alchemy(can't afford the paid version just yet).Synapse has an interesting Refill for Reason,so I'll definitely check out Dune.Trillian is insane,but not too long ago,I purchased a bass Refill for Reason...so I can't drop $279 for just a bass program.

KVRaudio.com is a phenomenal resource for some of the synths your talking about,so I need to give that website a visit.

Thanks,

-Thom
SoundSquire

Post by SoundSquire »

I got some of these from Computer Music magazine. Synthmaster CM is the one I have. I also got Dune CM in another issue.

Trillian is another story. I have not found anything that sounds that good for bass with the exception of some of the NI stuff. Trillian is just phat!
All the best,
Sam

SoundCloud
Mixcraft Live
YouTube