Something wrong when comping

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Ianpb

Something wrong when comping

Post by Ianpb »

I've noticed that after comping a track with V6 (204), when I merge it section by section the level of that track increases with each merge.
Acoustica Greg

Re: Something wrong when comping

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Is this build 204? Try it with the beta version of Mixcraft and see if the problem goes away.

Greg
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

Hi Greg,

I just tried it with the Beta 207 build and the same thing happens. The sound images on the tracks get visibly larger, some beyond the top and bottom where I'm assuming clipping is now occurring.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Is this with audio clips or MIDI clips?

Greg
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

I can't seem to download the beta 207 version. It tells me to re-install Mixcraft and try again.

Also, I'm running beta 206 and when I check for updates I get this.. Any idea why?
Attachments
pic.jpg
pic.jpg (120.67 KiB) Viewed 4857 times
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SSF i3, 32gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite 2i2; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,
Is this with audio clips or MIDI clips?
Greg
I only need to comp audio clips, so I have no idea if it happens with midi.

I'm going to be out all day so I can probably experiment after I return, if someone doesn't do so before me.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

trevlyns wrote:I can't seem to download the beta 207 version. It tells me to re-install Mixcraft and try again.

Also, I'm running beta 206 and when I check for updates I get this.. Any idea why?

trevlyns, beta versions aren't part of the automatic update. Also, the patch only works for build 204. If you have build 206, you have to download and install the full version of 207 (also linked on the beta page).

Keep in mind that this is beta software, so there might be bugs. If you find any problems, be sure to file a bug report using the form on the beta page.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Ianpb wrote:I only need to comp audio clips, so I have no idea if it happens with midi.

I'm going to be out all day so I can probably experiment after I return, if someone doesn't do so before me.
When you say "comp," what procedure are you following, exactly?
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

Acoustica Greg wrote:
Ianpb wrote:I only need to comp audio clips, so I have no idea if it happens with midi.
When you say "comp," what procedure are you following, exactly?
I cut a section from another vocal track and inserted it on the final one. I merge it and the level according to the track display increases. I also cut a couple of sections and move them along a little to correct the timing and when I merged these back with the rest of the track the level also rises.

Update: I just realised that this issue is not relevant to midi, which just shows lines on the track, unlike audio.

My vocal track is effectively shot because of this and I'm now unable to do any more until this serious issue is fixed.
Vibrant Audio

Post by Vibrant Audio »

I dragged some Mixcraft library ogg files into a track and merged, did some overlaps and merged - no issues. Did the same with some 44.1k 16bit files I had recorded - no issues. Using build 204.

What are the sample rates and bit depth of the files you're using?

Is the sound actually getting louder or is the waveform display just increasing?
*Vibrant Audio*
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

Vibrant Audio wrote:I dragged some Mixcraft library ogg files into a track and merged, did some overlaps and merged - no issues. Did the same with some 44.1k 16bit files I had recorded - no issues. Using build 204.

What are the sample rates and bit depth of the files you're using?

Is the sound actually getting louder or is the waveform display just increasing?
I didn't do overlaps, I let Mixcraft fill in the silent gaps. I did this editing on the original track that I'd recorded my vocal on.

Sample rate and bit depth = 44.1khz, 32-bit (I assume the Mixcraft default to be 32-bit floating as opposed to linear?).

The sound does get louder, and to confirm it I just tried the following:

I created a constant tone using the Acoustica 'Church Combo Organ' VST on a virtual instrument track.
I raised its level by pushing the Output Gain of the Acoustica graphic EQ up full, and then bounced it to an audio track. The constant black wave occupied about 50% of the audio clip's width.
I played the audio clip and set the Main Mix output level at 0.
I then cut and merged the clip 11 times, by which time the wave was now occupying the full width of the clip (you will see it steadily grow as you continually cut and merge).

When I played it now, the Master Mix showed that the level had increased to 3. So there is an increase in level that coincides with an increase in the wave size after every cut and merge. So that confirms this to be a bug that needs urgent attention.

You might wonder why I'd want to cut and merge eleven times (which is beside the point), but when recording vocals, parts will peak close to the track edges. Consequently, two or three cut and merges will send these parts beyond the edge, and into clipping territory.
Vibrant Audio

Post by Vibrant Audio »

I followed your steps to try and duplicate the problem - I had no issues. I cut and merged the clips here without any change in volume.
*Vibrant Audio*
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

Did you do it by cutting, selecting the two halves, then merging, then cutting again, then selecting the two halves, then merging again, etc. etc. eleven times?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Do you split and merge without moving the two pieces apart? Or are you moving them apart? Are you pressing Ctrl+W to merge?

Greg
Vibrant Audio

Post by Vibrant Audio »

Ianpb wrote:Did you do it by cutting, selecting the two halves, then merging, then cutting again, then selecting the two halves, then merging again, etc. etc. eleven times?
Yep. No matter how many times I split, merge, cut, merge, move, merge - no matter what, once or 15 times in a row - I get no change in the volume or waveform display like yours is doing.
*Vibrant Audio*