Need help with ASIO maybe?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Nvincible

Need help with ASIO maybe?

Post by Nvincible »

Hello all! First post and new to mixing software in general.

I'm a very novice recording type person. I've had ideas floating in my head for years and have played around with Garage Band on my iPhone some but until I found Mixcraft, I never tried any software or recording on my PC at all. I found Mixcraft about a month ago and fell in love with it's simplicity and amazing breadth of product.

So, here's my problem. I'm having trouble trying to figure out what I need still to setup all I want to do.

I bought a Focusrite 2i2 box and a nice mic. Got them working just fine. I can record just fine in mixcraft using the Focusrite with both voice and instrument. All good up until the point of needing to hear my playback and play along with it on a new track.

I've read about and watched the tutoral videos about Wave, WaveRT and ASIO choices and latency problems but I'm still not sure what I need to do on my end if Wave and WaveRT are both still too high latency and I don't have a soundcard that supports ASIO. I see where I can plug a headset directly into the focusrite but if I click the direct button, I hear what I'm playing with no latency but I don't get the guitar (electric) going through the amp on mixcraft, it's just the direct sound without the amp... Not helpful. I see the Focusrite has 2 spots on the back for monitors but I don't have studio monitors.

So, do I maybe just need a new sound card that supports ASIO drivers? Then I pick the focusrite for sound in and the sound card for playback? I just have onboard sound now (no support). I've searched online and it's really hard to find cards that say they support ASIO. Or, am I missing the boat completely and have what I need.

Lol, sorry for the rambling. Just not sure how to set this all up right. Maybe the whole problem is just the onboard sound and if I got a decent sound card, I could use the Wave RT and get the latency under control?
Pete Stobbs

Re: Need help with ASIO maybe?

Post by Pete Stobbs »

Can you not select asio in the Mixcraft Preferences sound device menu?
Maybe the whole problem is just the onboard sound and if I got a decent sound card, I could use the Wave RT and get the latency under control?
I thought the Focusrite was your soundcard?
Win 8.1
8 gig ram
AMD A4 6210 1.8 GHz
Focusrite solo.
Hughes & Kettner TubeMeister 5 head.
Blackstar ID30 TVP

https://soundcloud.com/pete-stobbs
https://soundcloud.com/toltec-jive
Nvincible

Post by Nvincible »

Problem is play back. I can use it as my sound card but I don't have studio monitors to connect to it. I have nice Z5500's plugged into my PC, I want to use them.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

You don't have that option with ASIO and that's one of the reasons you get such low latency. If you had the sound come in from a low-latency sound device and then have to be processed by an audio device with higher latency, then you have... higher latency.

You can give WaveRT in exclusive mode a try to see if that works for you.

Greg
Nvincible

Post by Nvincible »

Thanks Greg. What I want to know is what can I do about it? I don't mind buying something else, just what? Do I have to get studio monitors for the 2i2, do I get a nice sound card (and a suggestion on which) or what? Or, is latency just a product u live with?
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Looks like the bad news is:
Or, am I missing the boat completely and have what I need.
:D
When installed and selected, the pretty red box is your soundcard.
*Note that latency should only be an issue when monitoring while recording.

For low latency you want to monitor directly from your 2i2. I dont know what Z5500's are, I assume computer speakers. I guess you could use those, plugged into your 2i2's headphone output, but you may need an adapter. Of course this wont work for recording with a mic, when you need the isolation of headphones or something.
Make sure you have the latest drivers from Focusrite:
http://us.focusrite.com/downloads?product=Scarlett+2i2

Out of time for now.........
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Nvincible

Post by Nvincible »

Okay, thanks everyone!

I guess what I was hoping to hear was you use the "pretty red box" as the sound IN sound card and a nice PC sound card for the playback sound card so you could use your PC like normal except for recording (in).

I'll play with it some more. I guess I just need to use a headset and use the 2i2 as the sound card for both directions.
CRAZY6STRINGS

Post by CRAZY6STRINGS »

Invincible,
Plug the speakers you have connected to your computer to the Focusrite, the two outputs on the back. You'll be able to hear everything from your computer. That'is what those outputs are for, speakers.

Monitors are speakers but the word is used a lot as if they were another kind of device. They do have special "properties" but they in essence are just speakers.

I wonder where I can get a WAVE RT interface? Lol :shock:
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Returning to this, I must apologize- I neglected to greet and welcome the newbie.
And I was far too brief. So unlike me........

Hello and welcome Nvincible!
I guess what I was hoping to hear was you use the "pretty red box" as the sound IN sound card and a nice PC sound card for the playback sound card so you could use your PC like normal except for recording (in).
No, thats not ideal, part of the purpose of using the interface is to allow low latency monitoring, along with all those I/O options and controls, and mic preamps and so forth.
And I am not making fun of your "pretty red box", I think its an attractive unit. With its flexibility, (supposedly) quality pre-amps and such, it should be a great place to start!
The reality is that most people tire of switching back and forth between on board and outboard soundcard settings and learn its desireable to have a dedicated recording/mixing rig. Others get accustomed to it and its no problem.
CRAZY6STRINGS writes:
Plug the speakers you have connected to your computer to the Focusrite, the two outputs on the back. You'll be able to hear everything from your computer. That'is what those outputs are for, speakers.

Monitors are speakers but the word is used a lot as if they were another kind of device. They do have special "properties" but they in essence are just speakers.
Well maybe, First, the reason I suggested using the headphone output to plug in your computer speakers for monitoring is that it would at worst take a relatively simple adapter that would likely not be too hard to round up. I didnt look but the Focusrite headphone output is likely a 1/4" stereo, and most computer speakers are 1/8" stereo plugs. Not too uncommon to adapt.
On the other hand, while possible, the outputs on the back of the interface for monitors (Yeah, speakers) are a pair of 1/4" jacks, intended for TRS Balanced cables. Also keep in mind these are line levels intended to either go into the input of an active speaker with its own built in amplifier, or an amplifier then speaker, not just plug into a speaker. So even with a Y-adapter and such, it isnt really the recommended method. Although in theory it should work with computer speakers since they have a little built in amplifier too.

Some people are using Wave RT and on board soundcards, how that works out seems to depend on factors from computer O/S to soundcard brand and model, but even so, you may lack the options of the controls and settings on an interface designed for the purpose, multiple channel capability, mic pre's, etc.

Now, the final part of your original question, monitoring with plug-ins active.......
Sorry, have to get back to that-time to get back to work for now!
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

or-
until you buy dedicated monitors for your AI-which is the best option,you can monitor/listen through the AI w/ headphones then switch preferences to WAVE for listening w/ the computer's soundcard/speakers.that is, if your computer won't do the waveRt option well.
CRAZY6STRINGS

Post by CRAZY6STRINGS »

Dedicated monitors are the key, however, your unbalanced Z5500's can be connected properly to the Scarlett. See here. http://community.avid.com/forums/t/58612.aspx

As for 1/8 adaptors, you can get all you want at a Radio Shack. But you need to read the info at Avid.com

I can see why you want to keep your current speakers but, I wonder if they will serve you well for monitoring correctly.
Nvincible

Post by Nvincible »

I appreciate all the responses. I'm learning a lot just reading all of this.
I feel more armed with info for when I play around with my settings this weekend. I found I was having a serious computer issue that might have been affecting my last session anyway. I found my cpu cooler wasn't working and I was overheating so maybe that was part of my latency issues. I was having stuttering issues and thought I had bad video drivers. lol

Anyway, thanks all. I will play with my toys and get a better handle on how things work. I will probably go look at some monitors and just have a dedicated setup for recording/playback.
Raidx

Post by Raidx »

Without changing anything... this is what i would do

create your stuff using headphones in your focusrite

Play it back using your onboard soundcard and that pretty logitech sound system ( i have the same... love it)

If you want to throw a little cash you could get something like the AKAI RPM3 (for around 100$) and output your focusrite to those monitor... good quality (IMO) and very cheap.

I use them and it is perfect for recording (i use them to play music from my iphone too...they are small and can be moved around easily...
CRAZY6STRINGS

Post by CRAZY6STRINGS »

Since you stated that you are somewhat a novice to home recording, there is a great Youtube home studio setup guide that I found incredibly valuable. You can search for it there by the name of Studio Rescue. It's kind of quirky but after watching a few episodes, and following some the hosts advice, I now find my mixing time is less and far more accurate.
He doesn't get into changing any of your equipment which is great.Which proves one thing, unless you have everything placed correctly, be it commercial grade or professional grade equipment, your mixes will suffer.
I have to admit that I was dubious at first but then I followed his suggestions and I am now getting better mixes and getting quicker. Good luck to you
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

studio rescue is great.
if you want to get a nice set of dedicated monitors,these are great & even better for the price since they sell direct.they come highly recommended.
http://www.equatoraudio.com/D5_Studio_M ... P_p/d5.htm